Forums Latest Members

Vintage Speedmaster - “I wear it in the pool”...

1. Stufflers Mom Sep 22, 2019

2. JwRosenthal Sep 22, 2019

Good morning- SNORKEL!!!

95C4DBBA-CCC1-4F5F-9925-FB6250783D9A.jpeg

Although between last night and this morning there were over 18 Snorkel’s (I lost count at some point), and I can’t drink that much.

3. Canuck Sep 22, 2019

I STLL won’t wear ether of my Speedmasters n water. Especially after my Speedmaster Professional took on water after a splash.

4. Taybharr Sep 22, 2019

Please someone lock this thread as it spins relentlessly around the toilet bowl of inanity.

If you don't trust Omega, don't wear your Speedy in the water. If you do and your watch has been serviced somewhat recently (or is fairly new), go for it! The need for people to control each other's actions about how they treat THEIR watches is just getting silly.

5. JwRosenthal Sep 22, 2019

Please lock it- my liver can’t take anymore and I’m running out of web picks of Bulova’s to grab.

6. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Sep 22, 2019

Since it's not likely that someone is going snorkeling to 50m and providing photos, let's look at some actual testing. Here's a case for a 145022-69 that is in the shop for a service - movement is waiting for parts, but the case needed new pushers, crystal, case back gasket, and crown, so all those were installed yesterday:

[​IMG]

Off to the room where my wet testing equipment (approved by Omega) is located, along with the lathe, cleaning machines, etc.:

[​IMG]

The testing chamber is filled with water, the case is placed in the holder, and the holder is placed into the chamber:

[​IMG]

The water level is topped off:

[​IMG]

The lid is placed on the chamber and clamped in place:

[​IMG]

Now Omega only requires that this test is done on watches that have much higher water resistance than a Speedmaster does, so the gauge is not great at low pressures, so depending on how you read this, it's either 7.5 bar, or 12.5 bar...so either way well in excess of the 5 bar rating that Omega states:

[​IMG]

Shot of the watch in the chamber with the gauge visible:

[​IMG]

Since this is not a dive watch, I leave it in for 15 minutes - longer than most can hold their breath snorkeling:

[​IMG]

Here it is before I remove the watch:

[​IMG]

I place the watch on the heating plate, and over the next 30 minutes the temperature will rise to approx. 47 C:

[​IMG]

After 30 minutes, I place a drop of room temperature water on the crystal, and let it sit for 1 minute:

[​IMG]

I then wipe it away and look for condensation - none seen using a loupe, and the watch passed the testing:

[​IMG]

I'm under no illusions that this will satisfy the troll, but for anyone who is willing to listen to reason, I hope you find this useful.

Again no one is claiming the Speedmaster is suitable for diving, and no one is saying you should or shouldn't take the watch into the water - that's a decision everyone has to make for themselves. But the fact is, when properly maintained, the Speedmaster has 50m of water resistance.

Cheers, Al

7. Taybharr Sep 22, 2019

:D

8. p4ul “WATERRROOP” to 50m Sep 22, 2019

Correct, but please don’t wear a snorkel, this may invalidate your warranty.

9. p4ul “WATERRROOP” to 50m Sep 22, 2019

Excellent, thanks,

Will this process pressure test trolls?

Kmart, kkt, JwRosenthal and 1 other person like this.
  10. tyrantlizardrex Sep 22, 2019

Doing a Padi certification at the moment - having a snorkel with you is a requirement. ;)

M'Bob, p4ul and Davidt like this.
  11. JwRosenthal Sep 22, 2019

You guys are killing me
    Snorkellllll ::puke::
    3E0A9F5E-406B-46C2-80BC-A70AA5EC2A3F.jpeg

Scooterino36, heavenscloud and M'Bob like this.
  12. p4ul “WATERRROOP” to 50m Sep 22, 2019

Tricky........ ok, wear snorkel, place watch in water and pressure proof container strap to jacket, re-calculate weight requirement - shed some lead - and do not open until resurfaced.
    Best not to go below 30m unless you have done Advanced Padi.

tyrantlizardrex likes this.
  13. tyrantlizardrex Sep 22, 2019

Too true.

And whilst a properly maintained Speedmasters is good for 50m, this is my diving weapon of choice.

4DB1BEC5-0541-446A-B100-6D4C7772BF10.jpeg

JwRosenthal and p4ul like this.
  14. CoDiffe Sep 22, 2019

Ok I'm a bit confused reading through this post. I thought 50m water resistant meant basically "splash resistant" i.e. washing hands, getting lightly rained on, etc.

I've always been told that the actual numbers don't mean that's how deep into water the watch can go. You guys are nutso if you're wearing vintage speedys in the pool, recently serviced or not..

15. JwRosenthal Sep 22, 2019

In another thread where people were complaining about the paultry 1atm waterproof rating of a Glycine Airman, a response I loved (to paraphrase) was if a pilot’s watch is submerged in water- there are bigger issues than worrying about how waterproof your watch is.

Scooterino36, Kmart, Lurk41 and 5 others like this.
  16. Stufflers Mom Sep 22, 2019

You've got to laugh, you want people who are "willing to listen to reason" but at the same time hoping that they will not take any notice to what is laid down in a ISO cert. go figure.
    That said it's very nice but completely irrelevant post, as this little workshop test does nothing to change the ISO 22810 certification and it's subsequent recommendations, which as we know tells us that any watch with a 50m WR rating is not suitable for the purpose of diving.

17. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Sep 22, 2019

Wow, you are persistent. No one said a Speedmaster was a dive watch. You’re arguing with yourself.

Tom

18. JwRosenthal Sep 22, 2019

The progression of an OF thread and why I love this place:

OP: my feet hurt today, perhaps I should get better arch support

Page 6- I can prove that NBA players wore Chuck Taylor’s and they are perfectly acceptable as regulation gear

Page 10: Emu’s don’t have feet, they have claws

Page 14: Your cat is adorable wearing those little booties

Page 26: Alligators don’t like the taste of Speedmasters, they prefer Rolex.

19. Stufflers Mom Sep 22, 2019

That's true, but only one person was claiming that it could be used beyond what the recommendations laid down in the ISO 22810 certification.

20. kkt Sep 22, 2019

Well, yes, but if you are Gus Grissom and your hatch blows prematurely you don't want to be worried about whether you or NASA is going to pay for your watch's service...

JwRosenthal likes this.