Forums Latest Members
  1. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Nov 11, 2012

I have been wanting to purchase a SM300, but basically have determined that the authentic SM300 is one that I would be to nervous to wear given the cost and rarity.

I have been looking at the watchco watches (with date) and have seen that these are selling on eBay for $2,000-$2,250 with the mesh bracelet. However, they do not often seem to be available.

I have even gone so far to determine the cost to build one using parts from Otto Frei. It appears the watch without date is harder to source. And was only able to find the date dial and the cost for pats is ~$1,800 not including the cost for a movement, service, and assembly. So I could easily be in for $2,100-$2,200 for one with a date.

I have found one (all new) I can purchase without a date for $2,000.

I would like to hear from those that have completed their own build to see how much wok it really is to source this out and coordinate the build. I would have to get parts from Otto Frei, and the calandar dial from watchco (they are the only ones that had the black wheel) and then makes sure I can find a 565 on ebay.

Any thoughts about this approach, the pros and cons of having an SM300 built?

Thanks.

2. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Nov 13, 2012

Decided to go with the SM300 without a date. After looking at this more closely it was much cheaper to go this route.

3. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Nov 28, 2012

Ok, well I ended up with two SM300 watches, both without dates.

The one on the left is a Watchco watch, the one on the right is a vintage SM300. I am going to a watchmaker today to have the case opened.

I have 7 days on the vintage watch to return if not satisfied. As I have been following all of the SM300 threads on this forum it does appear that most all of the vintage SM300 are fakes or frankens, I could certainly use some help looking at the vintage.

Thanks

IMG_0286.JPG IMG_0277.JPG
  4. Ray916MN Nov 28, 2012

Looks good to me.

5. flame Speedmaster Neil Nov 28, 2012

Hi

Hmmm....That dial & handset looks relumed to me....does it glow strongly after exposure to a light source....?

Best - Neil

6. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Nov 28, 2012

Below are both, the Watchco is on right side.

At closer inspection, the lume is much thicker on the vintage dial compared to the Watchco watch.

How does re-lume impact a vintage watch?

IMG_0288.JPG
  7. flame Speedmaster Neil Nov 28, 2012

Hi

You could argue that the replacement handset is acceptable and if you wanted have them changed to match the dial markers.

Unfortunately I would suggest you walk away from that relumed dial unless the watch is very very cheap !

Personally , I wouldn't be a buyer....

HTH's

Best - Neil

8. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Nov 28, 2012

Neil, Thanks, so now I need to make a choice. What would you consider cheap? It is really hard to value these watches because they range from beat up to mint and very rarely are available.

9. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector Nov 28, 2012

Been through the same dilema a short time ago, deciding factor for me was wearability, since my "new" one arrived it has hardly left my wrist.
    Genuine would only have come out on high days and holidays.
    For anyone interested I dealt direct with watchco, simple and straightforward experience.

10. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Nov 28, 2012

I have had a Watchco watch for almost a month. I am a big fan. I also purchased a panda dial for my speedy pro from them as well. Figured I save on shipping and have it all sent at once.

11. ulackfocus Nov 28, 2012

I've got a WatchCo watch and just received a Genève dial from them for my 2748.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If not for them, I'd have to put up with a miserable redial on my Genève.

[​IMG]

::puke::

12. flame Speedmaster Neil Nov 28, 2012

Hi

I think you can pickup a genuine vintage sm300 for £1250 upwards....depending on type & condition. I'd be looking to heavily discount a relumed dial as the bill to sort/repair it....perhaps in the region of £600 > 800'ish ? Bezel isn't too good on that one either as the numbers have badly faded....

The other option is to walk away....they do turn up on a fairly regular basis.

Best - Neil

13. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Nov 28, 2012

ok, well that helps. I am in for 650 pounds ($1050) but that also includes a Omega Seamaster Bracelet 1502/825. I will have the watchmaker take a look at the inside.

14. Ray916MN Nov 28, 2012

I'd buy that watch for $1000 any day of the week. My 300 no date has not been relumed. What a great thing. I can't read it in the dark. If you're in it for vintage purity, original is the thing, but if you want to be able to wear it, reluming is not a big sin in my book.

15. smithrjd Nov 28, 2012

I am not bothered by a relume. To me it returns some functionality to the watch. Perhaps not all original, but if done correctly I don't see the same deal as a repainted dial. I have had some vintage watches relumed as when the hands are removed for service often the lume with break apart (Zodiac Sea Wolf) THe dial was left alone, but the hands to be correct had to be relumed or left "bare" with holes where the lume once f DSCF0659 (1024x768).jpg was.

Pippin, X350 XJR and Taddyangle like this.
  16. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Nov 28, 2012

Agree, but I wanted one for vintage purity, as I have my Watchco for daily use.

17. MyVintageOmega Nov 28, 2012

I'am with ( flame ) on this matter. Although you did get a good price I would display ( Seamonsters ) efforts in seeking out a factory untouched original. It pays off in the end and you just can't loose. The patina makes the originals the grails that they are...and after all....that's what you wanted in the first place. Happy hunting and hold out till the rare bird pops up............ SM 300 Seamaster Omega.jpg

seamonster and Taddyangle like this.
  18. seamonster Respectable Member Nov 28, 2012

Respectable Member MyVintageOmega

This is a friendly warning to you: If you display your beauty-queen, shot in different poses each time every so often, I will soon have to take the sleeping tablets. I think, I am not alone.

Thank-you.

MyVintageOmega likes this.
  19. seamonster Respectable Member Nov 28, 2012

Respectable Member Taddyangle

Somewhere there will be one, waiting for you. Sooner or later, our enthusiasts and experts here, will direct you there. Just tune in, regularly. Patience pays.

Thank-you.

20. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Nov 30, 2012

Respectable Member Seamonster

I just returned the watch today. The seller is very helpful and did tell me that the re-lume was done one year ago and he had no idea this impacted the value of the watch.

I will continue to wait this out, but truth be told I very much enjoy wearing my Watchco SM300 that I may start a new quest.

I only have room for 12 watches in my watch holder and and there are only 2 spaces open. One is already reserved for a Pebble Watch (digital watch that links with my smartphone) and therefore only one space remains.