Forums Latest Members
  1. remerus Aug 21, 2016

Hello Gentlemen,

Long time reader first time poster.

On a recent house visit to my mothers house and whilst sorting out packing up various bits and pieces for relocation to her new home I stumbled upon a watch believed to belong to my late grandfather. from the dial it looks to be a Seamaster all but in fairly poor condition although seeming to keep good time.

Please forgive the poor picture I did try my best to get as best ones I could.

Could anyone enlighten me as to what circa this watch might be and the model number, or really anything you can point out to me about this watch would be appreciated.

Lastly if it is a genuine Omega, would it be worth my time having it restored? and what strap / band would match the watch.

cheers Chris 20160821_191426.jpg 20160821_191548.jpg 20160821_191551.jpg 20160821_191610.jpg 20160821_191623.jpg 20160821_191634.jpg 20160821_191705.jpg

20160821_191730.jpg
  2. GuiltyBoomerang Aug 21, 2016

Welcome to the forums! From all accounts that is genuine. From the lettering, this model is from the early 60s. It has a one-piece case back, which means that it can only be opened from the front by taking the crystal off. Some information from @Hijak on another thread:

As it has sentimental value, being your grandfathers, it may be worth your time to get it restored; do get a reputable watchmaker to check out the movement and condition inside first.

Edited Aug 21, 2016
  3. dx009 Aug 21, 2016

It's fully legit but very beat up. Some damage from moisture/water inside the dial unfortunately. Maybe the movement is in a better condition.

4. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Aug 21, 2016

I wouldn't say it would be "very worth your while" until you see movement. If the damage to the dial has made its way into the movement, the cost to restore could far exceed any value, except sentimental.

GuiltyBoomerang likes this.
  5. GuiltyBoomerang Aug 21, 2016

That was my opinion, I should have worded it that way instead. My apologies.

6. remerus Aug 21, 2016

Thank you for the welcome mate and for the replies guys.

Absolutely! I would most definitely get a reputable watch maker to pop off the case and inspect the movement and assess the cost of resto.

P.S GuiltyBoomerang I am located in Northern Sydney.

Edited Aug 21, 2016
  7. GuiltyBoomerang Aug 22, 2016

Hm, Sydney area's nice :) For watchmakers, Desmond (creator of the Omega Constellation Collectors blog, http://omega-constellation-collectors.blogspot.com.au/) recommends Master Watchmaking (http://www.masterwatchmaking.com.au/) if you're in Sydney, which is located on Castlereigh St.

Other places in Australia include Precision Timing (http://www.precisiontiming.com.au/watch-restoration/) in Melbourne and Timecraft (http://www.timecraftservices.com.au/) in Brisbane. All these companies will be very happy to provide you with an estimate based on photos and work you need done.

If you like, you can also send the watch overseas to The Watch Guy (http://watchguy.co.uk/) or STS (http://www.swisstimeservices.co.uk/servicing.html) in the UK. Bear in mind that booking spots with Watch Guy can be very competitive and limited spots are opened each month for new customers.

WurstEver and remerus like this.
  8. remerus Aug 24, 2016

Thanks Guiltyboomerang, I will chase up the leads you have mentioned.

I have since made contact with an established watch maker who seemed to be of the opinion it was neither worth his time nor my money to attempt to look into my watch suffice to say I'll not stop there and will chase someone down who is able to do this family heirloom the justice it deserves.

Regards

9. Ritzwatch Aug 24, 2016

I am NOT a fan of any watchmaker who won't at least look at a vintage, especially one with sentimental value, and see if it has any life left. I, too, would keep on moving, but not until I "lost" that watchmaker's contact info. ;)

10. chows99 Aug 24, 2016

That's a pleasant find! I believe it is well worth the effort to fix it up and wear this watch to continue the story. A nice heirloom gift!

11. arkstfan Aug 24, 2016

I'm glad I haven't met that watch maker. I've spent around $400 on servicing watches with a combined resale of probably $80 but they had meaning to me and bring me far more joy to wear that that small amount of money.

I fully expect to have the "Is this a sentimental value" discussion, if we are going to trust each other we need to know what the mission is.

12. remerus Sep 1, 2016

Yeah I was disappointed as I did have an admiration for the chap's work but hey can't have someone do work they have no heart in doing...

Anyhow I have sent it off to another watchmaker in Sydney whom was very interested when I contact him. I will update you all when I get his verdict.

Cheers!

13. Superfunk Sep 4, 2016

Cool

14. Dmaskeze Sep 4, 2016

Looks a lovely watch....Hope it is able to be restored to its former glory!

SiB likes this.
  15. remerus Apr 11, 2017

Hello Gents, Apologies for the late reply have been very busy with what life throws around since my last post..

I did get a quotation in the end for the restoration of the Sea master it came to the tune of about $1000 Australian dollars so left me with a long decision to make. Still on the fence to be honest.