Forums Latest Members

Vintage Seamaster w/ orig black dial in steel. Is this a "gilt dial"?

1. datniche27 Jan 4, 2015

Always been confused about the term "gilt dial" and as I will be selling this watch, I want to make sure I know what I'm talking about.

The hour markers are steel as well as the Omega symbol and the hour/minute hands (the seconds hand looks gold-plated, the only thing that seems non-original). But the interesting part is the text "OMEGA AUTOMATIC" and "Seamaster" have a definite gilt look to them. As well as the patination on the dial, including the minute ticks. Is this just the coloring of the patina, or the actual text color and underlying metal of the dial?

Here's a couple pictures. The last 2 are taken right under a light to exaggerate the coloring. Whatever it is, it's beautiful. I'm just curious to know more. Thanks!

[​IMG]

2. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jan 4, 2015

Bingo! That's the definition of a "gilt" dial.
    gatorcpa

3. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 4, 2015

Yep gilt and one of first "Adventurine" dials as well :D

4. datniche27 Jan 4, 2015

Big thanks to both of you!

And lol, had to look up "Adventurine" dials. I was thinking the patina looked kind of "starry night" already!

By the way, could you guys help appraise this watch for me as well? Other important pieces of info are the seconds hand is gold-plated when the rest is steel, and the case has been polished before. Looks stunning overall. Thanks, I'd appreciate it!

5. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jan 4, 2015

Would need more information about case reference and movement to even begin to estimate.

I would say it is likely not a high value piece. Maybe a few hundred, the question is whether there is something special that raises or lowers that figure.

The non-matching hands hurt, but not much, as they are easily replaced.

Hope this helps,
    gatorcpa

6. datniche27 Jan 4, 2015

Thanks. Popped it open.

Caseback 2846-1
    [​IMG]

Cal 500
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Serial starts with 146 (~1955). The minute/hour hands are correct, just the seconds is gold.
    [​IMG]

7. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jan 4, 2015