Forums Latest Members
  1. rickyoung Oct 18, 2016

Hi All,
    I'm new here and was thinking about getting a vintage Seamaster or DeVille. I've attached a few links that I found on ebay. Any thoughts or feedback would be appreciated. For some reason, I like the TV cases. I don't have many in my current collection. I do have a day/date cal.751 Constellation, that is just beautiful. I'll drop some pictures when I can, but the links to some watches on ebay that caught my attention are below.

Edited by a mod Jun 1, 2023
  2. Davidt Oct 19, 2016

It helps if you upload photos rather than just links. Otherwise once the links expire this thread is no good as a learning tool.

rickyoung likes this.
  3. Edward53 Oct 19, 2016

The first two watches are horrendous. They have been polished to within an inch of their life, removing all definition from the cases. The first is a redial as stated in the description and the second may well be, I can't say from the photos. 43 bids on that first one is just bizarre, but whoever's bidding on it, they have absolutely no idea what they're doing. No collector would give house room to either of these watches, which if you bought and later regretted would be extremely difficult to sell on. The third watch doesn't look too bad if you like that kind of thing but it's not a reference I know and others may see things I don't.

Basically, any bulled-up, bright and shiny redialled watch is the kiss of death for collectors. If you just want something on your wrist to reflect the sunlight, that's fine and anyway 99% of people don't notice what watch you're wearing. If you actually want a decent watch whose true qualities you can appreciate, the first lesson is to look beyond the gleam to the condition and originality of the watch beneath it. Pretty much everything you need to know is on this forum if you are willing to spend some considerable time looking through it.

Jwit, rickyoung and luftburen93 like this.
  4. Waltesefalcon Oct 19, 2016

I wouldn't mess with the first two, but the third looks legit to me. You did the smart thing by coming here for advice, I didn't with my Connie and I own a "bulled-up, bright and shiny redial." I don't mind too much though because I can wear it daily with no worries. Now I just have to save up for a nice example of a Connie.

rickyoung likes this.
  5. rickyoung Oct 19, 2016

Thanks everyone. I just found the forum, and have a lot of reading to do. I appreciate the feedback and advice. I really love vintage watches. My first watch was a circa 60's Hamilton, given to me by my father. I've liked the style ever since. I'm interested in getting a few more pieces, so the info here will be invaluable.

Waltesefalcon likes this.
  6. WatchWarlock Oct 19, 2016

Agreed, stay away from those colorful redials selling at absurd prices. While the third seems alright, usually non-traditional case dimensions are less desirable so deals are out there for you. I would also look into the Geneve line if you are trying to keep the costs down.

My cal 751 Connie says hi!

20160708_131113.jpg
    ahartfie, rickyoung and Jwit like this.
  7. rickyoung Oct 19, 2016

Very nice 751! I'll have to put up a pic of mine soon.

WatchWarlock likes this.
  8. rickyoung Oct 19, 2016

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Here are some pics of the listing as suggested above....[​IMG]

ahartfie and Davidt like this.
  9. Waltesefalcon Oct 19, 2016

I'm guessing you went ahead and pulled the trigger on that Seamaster? Good choice I dig the 70s design.

10. rickyoung Oct 19, 2016

Not yet. I'm looking at a few watches in addition to this one right now. I will likely pull the trigger soon though. I'll send more pictures if and when I do. Thanks to all for your time and feedback. I'll try to get some pics of my Connie up in the next few days.

11. Vercingetorix Spam Risk Oct 19, 2016

12. Edward53 Oct 20, 2016

13. rickyoung Oct 24, 2016

IMG_2703.JPG IMG_2705.JPG IMG_2709.JPG IMG_2711.JPG IMG_2713.JPG My 751 says hi back...

ahartfie likes this.