Forums Latest Members
  1. DJDB Sep 23, 2019

Afternoon.

Noob here :). I just bought this this omega Cal. 628 from a guy, it is absolute brilliant to me. Can you please give your opinion or advice.

1. Where can I find the correct hands to replace? I think it is the luminous lance/ alpha.Would you?
    2. I see the cross on the seamaster is a bit smaller, is it normal (where can i find more information about this series)
    3. What would you be willing to pay for the watch in current state everything is working, I am just curios:)
    1de26e3b-c7aa-410f-91a5-f8c1df0bc20e.jpg 7e202625-8ffd-42b3-8de0-1a42c438bfcd.jpg ac486bc9-2423-40e0-b883-ae7093bb25aa.jpg dc6dbee4-5fac-4169-8439-2f20c7c35df5.jpg
    Thank you in advance

Edited Sep 23, 2019
  2. DaveK Yoda of Yodelers Sep 23, 2019

Welcome to OF! I appreciate your excitement over your new watch :thumbsup:.

Do you have a photo of the inside of the caseback that you can post, and have you searched the reference # to see what other comparables look like? I don’t want to rain on your parade, but hold on to your receipt, there may be some issues with your watch:
    - Case seems heavily polished, which would negatively affect the price
    - lume is missing on the hour markers
    - hands do seem wrong
    - wait for the experts, but I suspect that the dial has been redone. Can you provide a shot of the dial with the hands not blocking the logo and script?
    - the movement will also need a service before you wear it

I hope you stay around the forum!

Edit: let us know whereabouts you are and a recommendation for a watchmaker can be made

Edited Sep 23, 2019
    Sidnos likes this.
  3. DJDB Sep 23, 2019

Hi Dave,

I still need to ship it, bought it from a local auction site within South Africa. I will post additional photos ASAP or information.

- I was told that heavily polished cases lose value :)

If I may ask, how do you see if there is lume missing on the hour markers

Thank you once again for the comments, I do appreciate it :).

Regards

4. JwRosenthal Sep 23, 2019

It looks like someone tried to clean the dial and hands and lost the lume in the process. The lacquer on the dials of older Omega's (and many other brands) tend to degrade or yellow with age and a trick to try and freshen up the dials is do a citrus bath or some other bath trick....sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, but invariably is always washes away the lume. The muddled finish on the dial speaks to a washing attempt- and it didn't go too well. At least they didn't lose the lettering.
    If it's not too late to cancel this sale, I would. Stick around here for a while and you will learn much and be a much better hunter.
    Also the classifieds here is a great place to shop.

DaveK likes this.
  5. DaveK Yoda of Yodelers Sep 23, 2019

Hi there

Seems like you knew what you were buying, so I assume you got it at a good price. That’s great.

I am not familiar with this ref, but it is a pleasing layout (I do love subseconds), and end of the day that is all that matters

Looking at the shape of the hour markers, I would expect to see lume at the outside ends. Lume then would be expected on the hands as well. Again, wait for the experts to weigh in

AABA8BB3-2D5C-4189-B8CC-4B3FA0D68C35.jpeg