Vintage Seamaster needs repair

Hi, I have my dad's watch which is a speedmaster professional mark iii, I would say from 1970 or 1971.

I live in Chicago and would like to know if is a good idea to repair the watch.

I believe it had water damage because of a broken seal from a poor service manybyear ago, and my dad didn't care, just put the watch at the side.

How do I get more information from my watch? The only numbers outsice are 161.017

I will appreciate all your comments.

Thanks

You have the wrong case back on the watch. I was wondering why you kept using Speedmaster and Seamaster interchangeably. I believe your watch is a 176.002

Take it to an independent watchmaker with an Omega parts account for service. Do not bring it to Omega boutique. Someone here will be able to make recommendation in Chicago area.
The last picture looks like the dial may be quite nice looking through the very scratched crystal. looks like Omega 1116 bracelet which is correct for that period
These are very cool watches early 70’s style definitely worth servicing. Show us the after photos!!

Certainly worth repairing and the dial may have taken on a really attractive ‘brownish’ patina. Could turn out really nice.

Nice watch. Service it but make sure to keep the watch as original as possible.

Looks like you have the "Venezuela" engraving on the caseback. It seems to be, as far as I we know, a stock number from the retailler Salvador Cupello in Venezuela. 1971/1972 seems to be the good period.

Is your dad from here?

Welcome to OF @Algis looks like you fathers watch could clean up nicely!
You have the wrong case back on the watch. I was wondering why you kept using Speedmaster and Seamaster interchangeably. I believe your watch is a 176.002
I’ve been curious about this lately as I’ve seen many Speedmaster Mark III reference 176.002 with the Seamaster stamp on the case back rather than the Speedmaster. For example here’s the 176.002 case back that I have which has Seamaster on the back.
IMG_6633.jpeg

IMG_6636.jpeg

I wonder if this has been discussed elsewhere on OF?