Forums Latest Members
  1. blingris Jun 24, 2019

I recently inherited a vintage Seamaster from my grandparents after they passed and I haven't been able to see many examples with the diamonds on the dial. Any help with further information on this watchwould be great. Thanks.

IMG_20190624_175735.jpg IMG_20190624_175713.jpg MVIMG_20190623_194456.jpg

2. SG90 Jun 24, 2019

What an appropriate username... that must have been some bling grandad!:cool:

Someone here may be able to take an educated guess based off the case but you might be better going to a watchmaker and asking them to remove the case back. Take a photo of the movement and numbers on the case back and then post those images.
    You will get a more accurate answer.

Looks like a mixture of a lot of things tbh with the diamond markers plus the rose gold hands... I’m not an expert though so hang around for a bit!

DaveK likes this.
  3. blingris Jun 24, 2019

He definitely was a flashy guy between this and his curled mustache.

I'm taking it to an independent jeweler tomorrow to take a better look at it. Hopefully I can get some better pictures of the back and find out some more answers.

4. Davidt Jun 24, 2019

It's a front loader so hasn't got a caseback. Early pre-DeVille style.

Diamonds such as this were an option.

No minute markers tends to suggest one of the following:

1. the dial may have been cleaned or redone at some point
    2. The rules are slightly different for diamond dials.
    3. The diamonds aren't factory original from Omega and the dial was modified at point of sale by a jeweller who removed the minute markers as part of the process.

Edited Jun 24, 2019
  5. TNTwatch Jun 24, 2019

Rules certainly not the same for diamond dials, and based on the scripts it looks like an un-refinished dial. The case is likely solid gold - there should be some indication between the lower lugs at 5-7.

Inside the case there are the case reference and movement numbers, but it's not really necessary to open up the watch just to find those numbers. Beside risking damage to the watch by some experience-unknown jeweler, it's not gonna be anymore helpful than the word Seamaster on the dial, unless the watch is to be sold soon. What's important is how to preserve the watch. For keep-safe, just leave everything alone and lock it up somewhere. For wearing, a proper service is required to be done by some good watchmaker experienced in vintage Omegas, not just by any jeweler. A nice leather strap would also be better to the soft gold case than that steel bracelet.

6. snunez Jun 25, 2019

So where there really diamond on dials from Omega (as an option)? Anyone got a pic of a known Omega produced dial with this?

7. dabbispade Jun 25, 2019

It’s interesting, never seen a deville with diamonds on it.

DaveK likes this.
  8. speedy76 Jun 25, 2019

I have the exact same watch in stainless steel. My father got it from his mother-in-law, my grandmother, around 1969 as a 25th wedding anniversary. It was in a safe for some 30 years, still ran, but I just had it cleaned and overhauled for about $750. I feared that the watch was a fake because I never saw a photo with diamonds until I saw your grandfather's! Its a C550 166.020. It doesn't say "DeMille", its exactly like yours, just not in gold.

Any idea if Omega did the diamond work itself? Any idea what it sold for in the 1960's and the value now?

9. speedy76 Jun 27, 2019

Hi David. I have the exact same watch with the exact configuration of diamonds as Blingris, only in steel (unless its platinum?). looked online at old catalogs for Omega, never came across an option for diamonds. Any information on this?

10. blingris Jun 27, 2019

I'll be dropping it off today to be examined but I do know that my grandfather received this as a gift from my grandmother in the early 60's and bought it at a reputable jeweler in Chicago. I've seen others with the same pattern of diamonds which leads me to believe it had to have been something Omega offered at the time. When I get the watch back and further information, hopefully in a few days, I'll let you know what I figured out.

11. speedy76 Jun 27, 2019

thank you so much. My grandmother also gave it as a gift to her son-law-law, my father, as a 25th wedding anniversary gift back in 1969.

been in my safe for some 30 years; thought it was a knock-off. Very excited to hear what they ell you!

12. speedy76 Jul 22, 2019

good morning. Were you ever able to determine how the Omega had diamonds for the numbers? Was it an option or could it be counterfeit? thank you, Alan (speedy76)

13. blingris Aug 8, 2019

Hey guys, wanted to provide an update. I took the watch to a local watch store that was reputable int eh area and I found out it was a 1963 seamaster and is a 550 caliber. They did state that the dial was original. The crown did show some wear on the gaskets so it will no longer be waterproof but isn't much of an issue for me. I have some serial numbers and case numbers that I was hoping somebody could help with and they are provided as follows:

Movement serial #: 20, 323, 572
    Case Serial #: 5, 061, 982
    Case #: LL6590-1

If these numbers help I would love to hear a bit more about the watch from anyone that knows more about these watches than I do. Thanks.

14. Mark020 not the sharpest pencil in the ΩF drawer Aug 8, 2019

That suggests it is a reference 6590-1

15. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Aug 8, 2019

US market watch indicated by the case reference number LL6590.

Shabbaz likes this.
  16. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Aug 8, 2019

I believe that bracelet is earlier than the watch but best to keep it all together.

Tom

17. speedy76 Aug 27, 2019

18. speedy76 Aug 27, 2019

good morning. When you brought the watch in to the jeweler, was he able to determine if the numbers were actual diamonds or cut metal/glass?

19. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Aug 27, 2019

20. impalla62ss Aug 27, 2019

I agree on the case reference. 14k Yellow Gold, Cased by Ross in the United States

001.jpg 002.jpg