Forums Latest Members
  1. tomatosauce Oct 4, 2017

Hi Everyone!

This is my first time posting in this forum! I'm pretty clueless when it comes to watches, but my boyfriend loves them. He noticed the vintage Seamaster Ryan Gosling wore in La La Land and said that he really likes it so I plan on buying a similar, stainless steel one for his birthday. I found a couple on eBay but wasn't sure if they have been redialed or if they're even worth the listing price. Again, I'm totally clueless to the watch world so any insight into these (or another listing) would be greatly appreciated! Please take a look at these and let me know if you think they are good:

Seamaster 600 for $788Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network
    Seamaster 600 for $864Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network
    Seamaster 2975-1 for $950Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network
    Seamaster DeVille for $1,053Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network this one's dial is super white... redial?
    Seamaster DeVille for $1,495Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network this is a lot more expensive than the other one for some reason...

Thank you in advance!

Edited Oct 4, 2017
  2. kreyke Oct 4, 2017

I hope you’re my gf secretly shopping for me. Fingers crossed.

EDIT: I don’t think Ryan gosling was wearing a Speedmaster. With regards to the watch you’ve shared, it is quite inexpensive. I’ve seen solid gold examples sell for $500 on forums.

It’s a $500-$600 watch at best.

EDITEDIT: opened the link on the computer. Looks like a redial and heavily polished so it’s worth movement parts.

3. No Mercy Oct 4, 2017

I didnt see any Speedmaster at all :whistling:

PS: The Omega in LaLaLand is with wrong hand set, over-polished case & not original crown, stay away j/k

4. ConElPueblo Oct 4, 2017

Welcome aboard Ms. Sauce.

The watch that was worn during the film was discussed here: https://omegaforums.net/threads/vintage-omega-in-la-la-land.51031/

Read only if you really want to geek-out ;)

Best of luck sourcing a nice watch for your boyfriend - let me be the first to recommend you having a look in the "Private Sales" and "Sales" section here on Omegaforums. Also, and this is important as it is for a gift - make sure to buy a watch that has been serviced properly. Otherwise you have a much greater risk of ending up gifting something that your boyfriend will tire off quickly.

mydeafcat likes this.
  5. Davidt Oct 4, 2017

As above, it's not a Speedmaster he's wearing but if your boyfriend likes that style you're on the right track with what you're looking at. Unfortunately all of the Ines you link to are redials (apart from possibly the second - the pics are too small for me to tell only phone).

I'd strongly suggest you look at the Private Sales section here over the coming weeks.

Btw, where are you located - UK, Aus, US etc? Import duty may be a factor.

6. tomatosauce Oct 4, 2017

Sorry I got confused with the names! :p

Oh wow... good to know about the La La Land watch.

7. tomatosauce Oct 4, 2017

Yeah... I got confused on the name... :unsure:

Ok will do. I live in the US.

8. Canuck Oct 4, 2017

The pictures are all of Seamasters, and Seamaster DeVilles, not Speedmasters. I didn’t see the movie, but if the watch he saw is a Speedmaster, that is a totally different watch. As to the ones listed in your post:

#1- This watch is a manual winder (not automatic winding), and it is a MESS!

#2- This watch is also a manual winder, and you should never buy based on lousy pictures.

#3- This is an automatic, but it is an obsolete model, and the movement is ROUGH. Forget that one.

#4- This one is also a manual winder. Looks a bit better than the others, but would he like a manual winder?

#5- This one is higher priced, but excellent pictures premium DeVille model, automatic winder, looks good internally and externally.

The Speedmaster is a huge range of watches with a wide variety of added features, but all are chronographs (basically a wrist type stop watch). If he really wants a Speedmaster (chronograph), he may not be happy with anything else. Might be a good time to consult with him, before you invest. If the one Ryan Gosling wears in the movie is the one he really wants, others here should be able to advise you the reference. But find out for sure, first!

If you don’t buy eBay, check out the offerings on the Omega message board, offerings for sale. Let us know what you decide to do, and best of luck.

GuiltyBoomerang and Dial & Bezel like this.
  9. tomatosauce Oct 4, 2017

I updated my post - I meant Seamaster, not Speedmaster. Sorry for the confusion! He actually does not like chronographs!

10. Toishome Oct 4, 2017

How dare he not like Chronos :eek:. Not sure if he is a keeper Ms. Sauce.

Baz9614 likes this.
  11. Davidt Oct 4, 2017

Got to disagree there. Numbers 4 and 5 are both poor redials, over priced and 5 is polished to death.

12. Canuck Oct 4, 2017

You’re welcome to your opinion.

13. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Oct 4, 2017

14. ConElPueblo Oct 5, 2017

No. 4 is a redial for sure, not sure about 5. At a quick glance, it could just have been cleaned, as it is missing lume on the dial.

15. Davidt Oct 5, 2017

T Swiss Made T on a dial that looks like its onyx only, and the "automatic" font looks terrible. I still think redial.

Even discounting the dial, it's still over polished and over priced.

16. COYI Oct 5, 2017

Your boyfriend is a lucky man!

As others have said, I would definitely advise you to buy a vintage Omega from a forum member in the private sales section here. eBay is a minefield and you need to be knowledgeable about vintage watches in order not to make a mistake.

17. shaun hk Fairy nuffer Oct 5, 2017

Agree completely with the above, but are you a fan of West Ham?

18. kreyke Oct 5, 2017

Seems like it’s the correct opinion. 4 is a redial without doubt. Automatic word looks too thick in 5.

19. COYI Oct 5, 2017

I am

20. shaun hk Fairy nuffer Oct 5, 2017

Me too, really ought to start a new thread but Slav out or Slav in?