Forums Latest Members
  1. Newtowatches Jul 14, 2016

I want to first say I apologize if this isn't formatted correctly or if you're sick of seeing these threads.

I'm new to watch collecting and have a small budget and considered buying an orient as a first watch. After some research I noticed multiple Omega Seamasters for sale on eBay in my budget. I was skeptical at first but don't see any of the obvious signs of a fake.

All that being said could anyone tell me if any of these watches are fake? I don't mind a redial as long as it looks correct.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/Omega-SeaMaster-Watch-Cal-601-Serviced-/131869978841?nav=WATCHING_ACTIVEPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

http://m.ebay.com/itm/Omega-Seamaster-De-Ville-Automatic-Timepiece-/162131716782?nav=WATCHING_ACTIVEPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

http://m.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-1962-...Steel-Watch-/191918932113?nav=WATCHING_ACTIVEPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

http://m.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-OMEGA-Seamaster-/191919266056?nav=WATCHING_ACTIVEPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network (On this one I'm also curious how much it would cost to repair the crystal.)

Thank you all for your time :)

2. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jul 14, 2016

Good news is that I think all four are real Omega watches.

1. Original dial looks in pretty good shape, a little patina. Nice.

2. Pretty nice one also, not sure I like the engraving on the back. Later Seamaster DeVille, some of these were very small (30mm), you need to be careful about that. No movement pictures. Dial looks original.

3. Another good one. Like the 30mm Ca. 286 movement better than the 601 for a first watch. Like the fact that it has new Omega crystal. Note that the band and buckle are not genuine Omega. However, I doubt any of the other ones are either.

4. Original dial, but it was scratched by poor service person. Needs new crystal. Case in pretty good condition.

Question is whether you want a manual wind or automatic.

You get a lot of credit here. You picked four honest vintage watches. They all have some issues, but that's to be expected in this price range. Make sure you factor in the cost of a service of at least $150 into your purchase.

A good first post! :cool::thumbsup:
    gatorcpa

Foo2rama, noelekal and West Slope like this.
  3. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jul 14, 2016

Not much to add to that, my preference would be for #1 only because I prefer SS to gold. #4 with the damaged dial would annoy me.

@gatorcpa, why would you prefer the 286 over the 601? Both are classic robust movements, I'm interested in your opinion.

4. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jul 14, 2016

Agreed. I'm just impressed that a first time poster hit on 4 out of 4 original dials. Not one of the "ooh, shiny" crowd.

More personal preference than anything else. Although I do think that while Omega started cost cutting with the 600 series, it's a very fine movement.

The 26x/28x series is just classic. My watchmaker used to say that they almost assembled themselves.
    gatorcpa

5. François Pépin Jul 15, 2016

Hi,

I could not agree more with Gatorcpa. The 30 series is kind of a myth. Not only it is very acurate - even the non chronometer movements run most often like chronometers - but it has a very nice classical construction: Bréguet hairspring (well, not for the 286!), large balance, simple but beautifull shape.

The 286 is not my favorite (flat hairspring, no screw ring balance) but it is still a very nice movement.

The 600 series is also a nice one. But it is not as ´classical´ and elegant - and to my opinion a little more difficult to assemble!

6. Edward53 Jul 15, 2016

Re the fourth watch, isn't that a Constellation movement in a Seamaster case? Surely it should have a 562?

Bumper likes this.
  7. Newtowatches Jul 15, 2016

Thanks, I appreciate all the responses!

8. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jul 15, 2016

Don't know what it should have, but not a cal. 561. Movement looks like a put-together anyway. Probably worth the $100 current bid, but not any more.
    gatorcpa