Forums Latest Members
  1. bigdubnick May 26, 2015

Got a call from a buddy tonight asking what he should do about his Seamaster Deville that he wore while taking care of an emergency rain gutter issue. After imparting my knowledge that vintage pieces such as his shouldn't be anywhere near water, I told him I'd ask the experts what a man should do.
    Will taking the movement out of the case and air drying it help anything?
    Is it inevitable that he'll have to take it in for service/repair (he just got it back from service a couple months ago)?
    Should I tel him it's broken and that I'll take care of disposing of it (ie add to my collection)? [emoji6]

[​IMG]
    Thanks!

2. redpcar May 26, 2015

If you can't get the back off, pull the stem out to the set position and set it in front of your laptop fan

bigdubnick likes this.
  3. JimInOz Melbourne Australia May 26, 2015

Rice, table lamp, oven...................

All of these have been suggested at some time.

If he is sure that water got in, take it to a watchmaker (it may be a unishell case).

If he has the skills and the tools, he could open it and put it in a big tupperware container next to a wardrobe/closet dehumidifier.

or take it to a watchmaker.

bigdubnick likes this.
  4. Canuck May 26, 2015

You didn't tell us if it leaked! I assume it did. What should be done depends on how much water got into it. If the crystal fogged, it might be sufficient to remove the movement and air dry it. However, if there was water sloshing around under the crystal, he needs a full service. At the very least, have it checked to find the source of the leak, and have it attended to. In future, he should show his 50 year old watch more respect!

5. bigdubnick May 26, 2015

Oops. Yes. He has condensation on the inside of the crystal. I don't believe there is water sloshing but I'll have it in hand tomorrow.

6. Canuck May 26, 2015

The best advice I can offer is that he continues wearing the watch until action can be taken. The moisture will probably remain on the under side of the crystal as it will be the coolest part of the watch. The water should be kept from gravitating to the hands, dial, and steel parts.

bigdubnick likes this.
  7. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! May 27, 2015

Needs professional attention IMO.

Air drying is a not a proper solution. Even a "minor" moisture incursion may have other longer term consequences.

Archer likes this.
  8. bigdubnick May 27, 2015

Thanks. I figured there wasn't much of a choice if he wants to keep the watch for a long time without worry/issue. I took the bezel/crystal off, it's a unishell, and let it dry...then called him to tell him he needs to have it tended to by a professional. Will see if I can help him understand.

Maybe a photo of what corrosion/rust looks like on a movement might be helpful. Anyone have a particularly nasty one I can use to scare him?

Darlinboy likes this.
  9. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker May 27, 2015

Will this do?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cheers, Al

Giff2577, bigdubnick and Darlinboy like this.
  10. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member May 27, 2015

@Archer, with that watch above when it flooded would it have been better to try to dry it out as I'm guessing the owner did or leave it submerged and full of water until you can get it to the watchmaker to be stripped and cleaned? Always wondered on that as that seems to be what they do with recovered aircraft flight recorders as they'll corrode far more slowly under water than exposed to air.

11. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker May 27, 2015

I had always heard when I was younger statements like if your watch gets wet, leave it in a glass of water so air can't get at it, and this will prevent corrosion. But that is dubious to me. If I leave a carbon steel parts in a glass of water, it still corrodes. Water has oxygen in it after all.

This particular watch was in salt water from the ocean, and the owner was on a cruise ship at the time, so he could do nothing when it first happened. When he got it home, he rinsed it with fresh water and dried it out before he contacted me, so at that point all that could be done was send me the watch, and I got it back running.

I think flight data recorders and voice recorders are different animals. Even the old mechanical type used aluminum foil to record on, so you are trying to preserve the media rather than the mechanism.

Cheers, Al

Giff2577 likes this.
  12. bigdubnick May 28, 2015

These are scary! Thanks, Al and to all that replied with help. Much appreciated.

13. Canuck May 28, 2015

You got it running again! I don't think I would have even tried! You likely were only able to re-use anything that wasn't steel! Now that is determination!

14. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker May 28, 2015

Of course I got it running again....that's my job after all! ;)

I certainly had to replace a few parts:

[​IMG]

But many I spent the time to clean up:

[​IMG]

And there are plenty of steel parts that I was able to use again:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If it wasn't for the stained dial (that the owner wanted to keep) you would never know it had been flooded when I was done:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Personally I live for jobs like this one, that are bad but still have a chance at life. There was another that had been run over in a parking garage:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Again some evidence was left behind at the request of the owner, but overall both these came up looking quite good, and both running well, with very pleased owners:

[​IMG]

These are a break from the boring everyday service and repairs I get.

Cheers, Al

Giff2577 and Jones in LA like this.
  15. Canuck May 28, 2015

A splendid piece of work indeed! I should say two splendid pieces of work!