Forums Latest Members
  1. rzdh May 18, 2014

Hi all,

I am in the process of purchasing a vintage 1965 seamaster 600 and found one locally that seems to have been recently serviced with an original caseback, signed crown and new crystal. The downside is that the face, while original, seems to have some damage around the edge.

Is this something that I should be concerned about? Is this something that can be cleaned?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. John R Smith May 18, 2014

Yes, this something you should be concerned about because it is unsightly and reduces the value of the watch. Dial deterioration of this kind is very common on elderly Omegas, and cannot usually be cleaned or restored.

3. JimInOz Melbourne Australia May 18, 2014

That close to the stem may also indicate water ingress, thus corrosion on the face, and who knows where else.

Nothing to see here, move along.

Archer likes this.
  4. Aroma May 18, 2014

Such a shame - obviously the crown seal has failed and moisture has entered the case. You cannot clean this and it does affect the value. I wonder what the movement is like?

5. rzdh May 18, 2014

Thanks for the feedback guys. Here is a photo without the case back. If you guys think this piece isn't worth investing in, I appreciate you thoughts.

5.JPG
  6. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker May 18, 2014

Water has entered the crown - most damage will be in the winding/setting parts on the dial side, so difficult to tell how bad it is without having the hands and dial removed.

Cheers, Al