Forums Latest Members
  1. JetLinks Sep 16, 2020

I picked up a pretty well used/worn Seamaster Chrono (ref 176.007) from the early 70's yesterday which is pretty cool!! Up until about a week ago I had never even seen this watch or reference before, never mind considered it for my collection. The movement seems to function pretty well overall but it will need a service in the near future.

So I now need to decide on the following:-

Bracelet - do I look attempt to get the hard-to-find 1170/604 or go for a 22mm Omega Shark Mesh band? (leaning towards the mesh)
    Case - have polished or keep as is? (it's taken some hard knocks!)
    Crystal - polish out with PolyWatch or buy new?
    Hands - replace or keep? (I think the hour hand has been repainted)

Help questions.... where is the screw (is there one?) to release the crown stem so I can get the movement out?

I've been doing a lot of searching online and the calibre1040.com site is pretty awesome! Any more??

Let's hear your comments please??

Screenshot_20200912-082454.png IMG_20200916_132821.jpg IMG_20200916_132332.jpg

red crowned and Zapatta like this.
  2. Nitrodog Sep 16, 2020

Great find, that is a model that is on my list. Looks like it could use a good service but if it were mine I would leave the hands alone, not polish the case (lots of character on this one) but I would polish the crystal.
    Nice watch

JetLinks likes this.
  3. Iceter Sep 17, 2020

I fell in love with this reference the first time I saw it, too. My wife got me one for Christmas but won’t let me wear it until then.

Yours has definitely seen better days. The case is supposed to have a brushed finish on the top surface, but the brushing radiates from the center, so it is difficult to reproduce. I have seen these polished and they look ok. I’d take a run at a brushed surface before I polished it.

Good luck finding a good 1170 bracelet and even more luck finding the correct end links. They are scarce. This reference looks pretty good with a leather perforated racing band, IMO. Uncle Seiko makes a couple bracelets that look good on this watch. They don’t have as much taper as an 1170 but they’re good quality and most people wouldn’t know they were incorrect.

Welcome to the club!

4. jeppehh Sep 17, 2020

Such a great reference. 70s cool!

The variation with yellow and blue dial is also not the most common of the references. I like it.

I would try to get the hands fixed. Looks like they were both painted black in the luminous area. Maybe someone like James Hyman could sort it out for you.
    Case I would keep as is, and crystal I would change only if I couldn't get it polished out.

Mine says hi.
    IMG_5878.JPG

5. janice&fred Sep 17, 2020

Please tell me you're not going to take this thing apart yourself? Let a pro handle it as it's a nice watch. Experiment on an el-cheapo watch. :D

6. JetLinks Sep 17, 2020

It can't be any more difficult than the 321 movement I just fixed on my old Seamaster (reset problem of zero action pusher)!

Edited Sep 17, 2020
  7. hockey Sep 18, 2020

Movement service, polish the crystal and you are good to go.

8. JetLinks Sep 19, 2020

9. Iceter Sep 20, 2020

Not that one in particular. He has a couple others that are closer to the original 1170 contours. Less like a President and more rounded on the bottom. Google pics of 1170’s and then look through his catalog. I found a couple that were very close but then I found a genuine 1170 so I didn’t order. Happy hunting!

10. JetLinks Sep 21, 2020

Have you ever tried 626 end links on the Seamaster 176.007?

11. Iceter Sep 22, 2020

Sorry, mine came with the correct end links so I haven’t tried any others for fit.