Forums Latest Members

Vintage Seamaster Bumper "lost" bezel....advice needed 2576-7

1. Ktmcdonald Mar 5, 2016

image.jpeg image.jpeg Hi, Kate here. I am working to restore my fathers 1950's Seamaster Bumper Automatic, which I was given after he passed away. I am missing it's bezel ....in full disclosure....in the process of asking a jeweler if he could reproduce the bezel in 18k gold, it was lost... Yes, I admit it.... I lost it. Insert judgment here. ANYWAY.... I have been trying to locate a similiar bezel for over 4 months now. Short of simply buying the exact same watch, which is not inexpensive... I have had no luck. Would one of you experts advise me if there might be another option with either a different case number? I am fine if it's stainless, 14k or 18k. I would rather not have anything gold plated. I am even fine if it has numbers/hour markers...etc.. I really appreciate the help.

Edited Mar 5, 2016
  2. Joe K. Curious about this text thingy below his avatar Mar 5, 2016

The watch in the picture seems to have a bezel. Is this a picture before it was lost? Also, the watch in the picture is stainless steel. Why would you want an 18k bezel on it?

3. Ktmcdonald Mar 5, 2016

One more photo from Kate .. The bezel screwed on. image.jpeg
    Yes, your correct, it was pictured with the bezel... Prior to my careless loss. I was asking about an 18k bezel because I like two tone. I liked the idea of taking dad's workhorse and adding a "daughters" touch, but with my loss of the original bezel, I would be happy to have ANY material that is solid.

4. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Mar 5, 2016

This is easier said than done.

These watches originally came with "gold-capped" cases. These were very thick layers of 14K gold over steel. The gold covered the entire front of the watch, including the lugs. Some of these had solid 14K gold bezels, just not sure which ones.

It sounds more like you want the modern Rolex look of a full steel case with just a gold bezel. Omega didn't make that many like this

[​IMG]

The first issue you would have is that if you were able to find a gold bezel from a parts supplier, I promise that the price would be far more than it would cost you to purchase another vintage Omega with the case reference 2576 like yours.

Even if you found a spare gold bezel on eBay, you would be gambling, as it might not fit the watch even if it were the correct part. These cases were hand made back then and each bezel was made as an integral part of the case. This is not a part that gets replaced very often.

Your best and actually the cheapest way to go IMO is to buy a gold capped cased watch, Ref. 2576 and have the watchmaker try to swap out the bezel.

If that doesn't work, then swap the movement into the gold capped case.
    gatorcpa

ConElPueblo likes this.
  5. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Mar 5, 2016

Hi Kate,

Welcome - no judgment here - crap happens. Anyway, although bezels are discontinured for this case, the part number for the stainless bezel is 082ST2576. You might want to try searching on that part number on eBay to see if one pops up. Good luck with your search.

Cheers, Al

6. Ktmcdonald Mar 5, 2016

Very helpful! thanks so much. I will do that. Also, I was wondering if I might be able to perhaps relocate the movement into a 2577 or similiar, so I came to the pros (you guys:)) to ask. thanks again