Forums Latest Members

Vintage Seamaster - Authenticity & very bad mechanism

1. mk2610 Jan 11, 2019

Hi all, first time posting so please be gentle :)

I was given a vintage Omega Seamaster a number of years ago from a relative. It never came with any documentation so I've got no clue about it; I'm not sure if it is even genuine or a replica (I can't make out 'swiss made' clearly on the dial, but I think it's possibly been recased so that part is covered by the glass), but from research I believe it to be late 50s/early 60s.

It's pretty much identical to this one albeit potentially in a new casing and strap, however I've never taken off the back (not too sure what the process is to take it off and what tools I would need https://www.ebay.com/itm/GENTS-VINT...EAMASTER-WATCH-/202562517049?oid=173683497736Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

The crown doesn't screw 'out', it only screws forward/back from it's current position, or pull it out and it can adjust the time. I'm not sure if it's an automatic or needs wound. The problem is when I set the time I've not been able to wind it/get the auto movement to move the sub-second dial any more than 10-15 seconds, so think the mechanism needs looked at to resolve this, but that could be ignorance on how to wind this type of watch.

Does anyone have any thoughts about this? What it is, any value, if it's worth getting anyone to look at the mech and fix it and if it's worthwhile, esp if it's not genuine! Based in Scotland but travel frequently to London if that's helpful for any recommendations.

Any other advice is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
    Michael

Watch - Back.jpg Watch - View left.jpg Watch - View right.jpg Watch in box.jpeg
  2. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jan 11, 2019

The watch looks totally original to me except for the crystal and possibly the crown. Both should be able to be replaced at reasonable cost. The current crystal has a silver ring on the inside that may be hiding the "Swiss Made". I agree with your estimate of the manufacture date.

That is normal. This watch never had a screw-down crown.

It is a manual-wind watch. You need to wind it up all the way until the mainspring is tight. It should run for 1 to 2 days if operating normally.

If you cannot wind the watch because the spring is tight, or the crown moves with no resistance in either direction when pushed in (that is, not when setting the hands), then the watch may need a new mainspring (and/or other parts).

I think that the watch is well worth fixing up. I'll have to leave it to the UK membership to direct you to the proper service center.

Hope this helps,
    gatorcpa

heavenscloud and ChrisN like this.
  3. mk2610 Jan 11, 2019

Thanks for all that information! Good to hear you think it's genuine; reassuring to know! In terms of your points:

there is resistance when winding the watch so I don't think the mainspring is broken. I've wound it say 20-30 times, then set the time and it's started, however when I push it back in, it sometimes only goes on for 30 seconds a minute, certainly not 1/2 days, so I'm not sure if that suggests a specific part that's having issues. like the mainspring.

Be good if it is a relatively inexpensive part/cost to have it sorted. Have emailed 2/3 places and had some crazy high quotes for a service

Thanks

4. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jan 11, 2019

Only a watchmaker will be able to sort it out.
    gatorcpa

5. ChrisN Jan 11, 2019

As @gatorcpa says, it looks fine but needs a service to work as it should. Depends on what you mean by crazy prices for a service - expect to pay £200 plus parts for a proper service as it is some hours work. Deal direct with a watchmaker if you can.

Good luck, Chris