Forums Latest Members
  1. Rickyboy Jan 19, 2013

Hello all. I inherited this watch from my late father and would like to get some more information about it such as model identification and also maintance/restoration advice. I could not find a serial/reference number on the watch. I would like to look into potentially replacing or repairing the current bracelet as the clasp sometimes comes loose(Model8270)The watch appears to be working but i did notice it is slightly slow, about 1 minute per 24 hours or so. My father bought this watch in Hong Kong in 1967 when he migrated to the United States. As far as I know, he was the original owner.
    Any input and/or advice would be greatly appreciated! image.jpg image.jpg

image.jpg
  2. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Jan 19, 2013

Nice piece. In excellent condition for its age. Looks all original and authentic. Do you know if your father regularly serviced it? If not STOP using/wearing it until it has been serviced. You could be doing damage to the movement. Where do you live? Someone here might be able to recommend a good local watchmaker.

3. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Jan 19, 2013

Oh, model/serial numbers are all inside the watch. If you don't have the right tools, don't try to open it.

4. ulackfocus Jan 19, 2013

Hi Ricky. You have an early to mid 60's monocoque (meaning front loading, and the bezel & crystal come off and the dial & movement come out the front instead of the back) Seamaster with a caliber from the 56x series (560, 562, etc). It looks correct and would not need any serious cosmetic work since the crispness of the edges is very important and you don't want them polished off. It could be one of several references, including 166.020. That information is posted on the inside of the caseback, which is something a watchmaker can show you. Nice heirloom! If the Beads of Rice bracelet is original to the watch that's even better. :thumbsup:

5. Rickyboy Jan 19, 2013

Thank you everybody for your input. As far as I know, everything(including the bracelet) is original. My father passed away in 2007 and this has been sitting in my safety desposit box since then and in his dresser drawer before then as I do not remember him ever wearing it. I am pretty sure he did not regulary service it. As you can imagine this watch has tremenous sentimental value to me. I live in Northern New Jersey and have been wanting to get this serviced/cleaned up. However, I am a little nervous to send/mail this out in fear that is may get lost somehow. Any recommendatons for a good reliable watchmaker in the NJ/NY area would be appreciated.

6. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Jan 19, 2013

Ha! Half the forum is from NJ! Someone will chime in soon. I am in Australia, so can't help.

7. ulackfocus Jan 19, 2013

Funny AND true! I'm in South Jersey myself. If you don't mind sending it this way, there's member N2FHL / Steve who is a professional watchmaker. He works in Marlton and lives nearby. You can send him a message here if you like, or I can start a conversation with both of you and let you guys go from there.