Forums Latest Members
  1. Botley Sep 8, 2015

To mark a "significant birthday" I took the plunge into the vintage watch market and have bought this through eBay....

Face 5.jpg

It was advertised as "original" and "un-restored" which appealed to me. Not quite the same vintage as me but near enough.

Side 2.jpg

Winder 2.jpg Winder 1.jpg

Buckle Top.jpg

Buckle Back.jpg

It is 9ct gold, including the back, and dates from 1962/63 with a calibre 552 movement.

Movement.JPG

I'm going to take the advice I've been given and leave the dial original and just have it professionally cleaned and serviced so now I'm asking for advice and recommendations. Can anyone recommend a good watchmaker who will treat the watch sympathetically and get it working as efficiently as it should whilst retaining it's "character"? As an example of what I mean I'd like to keep the existing winder because it seems to be much smaller than the ones I've seen on refurbished watches and so is in scale with the case. I hope that makes sense. Any suggestions? I have contacted one recommendation via email but there has been no response as yet. It would be very helpful to get a selection of recommendations from knowledgeable enthusiasts. In the meantime I've bought a new "croc" strap for it which I'm very pleased with.

Strap.JPG

There is a very poor quality engraving on the back and I'd like to know if there is any way of dealing with this. Could it perhaps be chased out and filled with gold solder?

All thoughts, comments, opinions welcome. Thanks in advance.

Edited Sep 9, 2015