Forums Latest Members
  1. Myersfam May 20, 2013

I have a watch I inherited from my Uncle. I believe it is an original 1957 Omega Seamaster 300 Cal 501 2913-3 sc. I am unclear if the hands are original as they are different from photos I have seen of other watches from that year. Any opinions would be appreciated. Also, how much is it worth?
    4.JPG s1.JPG SAM_7214.JPG cap2.JPG b5.JPG b4.JPG

clasp1.JPG
  2. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member May 20, 2013

That's actually a rather nice watch you have there, the band stretch, missing bezel, and scratches all sort of fit with it having a long but honest life. Kinda looks like a 165.014 with those hands and dial, but I'm not an SM300 expert.

The value is in the low four figure range.

What are you looking to do with it, thinking of selling it or servicing it wearing it and keeping it in the family?

3. Myersfam May 20, 2013

Thanks for the response. I am considering selling the watch if I can get a good price.

4. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member May 20, 2013

Its worth a bit of money, but do factor in its not all original, the bezel missing is a big issue and its effectively a project to put back together, and a pricey restoration at that. You'd need to be honest about its faults and find someone willing to go through that restoration process.

5. g-boac May 20, 2013

The bracelet, while a nice one and similar style to the original, is a replacement that came along later in life. It is a 1039 bracelet with 516 end links that were used in the late 60s. The original to this watch would have looked somewhat similar (but with minor cosmetic differences) and been market "7077" in the clasp, and end links marked "6".

The hands and crown are both replacements as well, and the comments you've received so far are all appropriate/correct for what you're showing here. The best thing you can do is ask questions, and you'll learn quickly as you go along.

6. cristos71 May 20, 2013

Going through the restoration process with a 300 is not a small undertaking I can assure you. I took this one:

015.JPG

013.JPG

To this:

146.JPG

108.JPG

It was a very long journey indeed and took the best part of 8 months. The work included bezel restoration, bracelet correct finish restored, movement service, new bezel pearls, the seconds hand was straightened, the paint retouched and the lume stabilised,etc.

It was extremely satisfying to complete and is now my favourite 300. Had it not been for the fact that I have an excellent watch maker I wouldn't even have considered it. It was also not cheap to do this as you can imagine. The biggest difficulty if you go down the restoration route will trying to find some genuine 2913 hands. I have never seen them for sale. Sourcing a period bracelet won't be cheap either especially if you want to fit it with the no.6 endlinks.

Good luck whatever you decide to do.

Chris

093.JPG 136.JPG
  7. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member May 20, 2013

A long journey but definitely worth it Chris.

8. Myersfam May 21, 2013

Thanks Chris. Your 300 looks great!

9. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member May 22, 2013

[​IMG]

Stunning.

Lukeeesteve likes this.