Forums Latest Members

Vintage seamaster 165.002 - seeking info UPDATED PICTURES

1. TinaK Oct 29, 2017

Hello all,

I apologise in advance, as I'm just here seeking information prior to listing an item for sale!

I have this vintage seamaster that I cannot open the case on easily. I was wondering whether I am able to advertise the watch for sale in its current state, or would I be best going to a jeweller and asking them to open it for me so that I can take a picture of the mechanism and get the additional details?

I do not have a watch maker locally, and will still likely have to wait a week or so for a jeweller to be available.

Is it worth the effort of opening the case, or should I list it for sale 'as is'? If I do list it for sale, is there any way you could give me a price range, or additional details on the year of manufacture etc. without seeing the case open?

Many thanks.

(apologies about the quality of photos, the camera on my phone struggles in low light).
    seamaster2.jpg seamaster3.jpg seamaster4.jpg

2. dx009 Oct 29, 2017

Unless you want people to offer you 50$ and you'd be OK with that then I suggest that you, indeed, take some photos of the movement and inner case back.

3. TinaK Oct 29, 2017

Thanks dx009, I appreciate your honest response. I figured that would be the answer, but if I didn't ask the question, I would never have known for sure.

I'll see what I can do to get in to the movement and inner case.

4. TinaK Nov 1, 2017

Updated with photos of movement and inner case.

Any further information will be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

sea1-1.jpg sea2.jpg sea3.jpg
  5. ICONO Nov 1, 2017

You have all the images now, that you need for a successful sale on eBay

The movement dates to 1964 and looks in crisp, clean condition

I would expect it will cheerfully make £250-£350 before fees

6. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Nov 1, 2017

I can't comment on price as I don't follow these, but the movement is certainly in need of a service. The case back gasket is old, and the rotor has clearly been rubbing on the inside of the case back - wear evident on the case back and the rotor.

Cheers, Al

7. TinaK Nov 1, 2017

Thank you both very much.

Also thank you Al, for pointing out the wear on the inside of the case back & rotor. I'm a total novice and it is nice to know what I am looking at. I can see the wear, so I really appreciate the knowledge.