Forums Latest Members

vintage rolex speed king

1. watch3s Jan 5, 2018

I have been fixated on a smaller vintage watch with a screwdown crown and for some time now, Rolex/Tudor are the only brands that come to mind. That said ive been itching for vintage Rolex for every day as that tudor sub is a bit pricey to just wear around to work.

what do you fellas think?

It looks to be in great shape, which is almost a little suspect to me... and that price sort of seems high (not too sure of the vintage rolex market)?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1948-Rolex-Watch-Mens-Oyster-Speedking/272862255370?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

would you walk away if the seller refuses case back open and movement/model/sn photographs?

Appreciate any advice, tips and help, Thanks!

Edited Jan 5, 2018
  2. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jan 6, 2018

Buy the seller. 2 purchases in the last year. No sales in his history.

Reverse image search the images and try and get a recent picture with something with a date on it.

Not familiar with that model but it doesn’t look like a 1948 to me.

watch3s likes this.
  3. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jan 6, 2018

It isn’t, but that’s a common mistake that inexperienced sellers make.

Rolex had two series of case serial numbers from 1 to 1,000,000. The first one ended in about 1954 and they started over again. They reached 1,000,000 again around 1964.

https://www.bobswatches.com/rolex-serial-numbers

That watch has a early 1960’s look to it. Almost certainly from the 2nd series. There is a dated bracelet, although you can’t see the details in the pictures. Probably a dated case back as well, again, not visible in pictures. I’d want to see a movement shot also.

If all the numbers line up to 1960 or so, then it’s a really nice watch. However, I think that’s a “boy’s size” model, about 30mm diameter. Smaller than modern women’s watches.

Otherwise, it’s an expensive bunch of (maybe) Rolex parts.
    gatorcpa

Foo2rama and watch3s like this.
  4. watch3s Jan 6, 2018

Yikes, best walk away then. I have a feeling this would be one of those sellers who would go i cant provide that. Definitely gonna try and ask tho. Those hands are shot too from what I've been looking through. Time to fish in the VRF pond I suppose. Much obliged, fellas looks like the endeavor for a 36mm-38mm no date watch with screw down crown might take a while to nail down. to the google!

5. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jan 6, 2018

Be careful at VRF. You’re swimming with the sharks over there.

If you want 36mm to 38mm, best to forget vintage Rolex, unless you want to pony up big time for one of the divers or chronographs.

Most of the full-size Rolex dress watches from the old days are 34mm to 36mm. Go to a jeweler and ask for a modern Air King. It’s about the same dimensions as the old Oyster line.

Make sure you can live with it.
    gatorcpa

watch3s likes this.
  6. watch3s Jan 6, 2018

im ok with 33-38m for vintage over all. vintage for me has been quite a trip. im probably 1.5/3 at the moment, with the vintage devil diver being the only solid vintage watch I bought which came from an actual source and not the bay. I tried to go on VRF the other week but their website is so antiquated and a little difficult to maneuver. My vintage tissot is in that 33-35mm range which I am ok with, but I feel this is not going to be an easy endeavor to find something with a screw down crown. these were seriously in consideration but ive heard those are minefields

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rolex-5500...092473?hash=item3afc01ff39:g:OGAAAOSw6SlZ430pPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

there is even an homage? https://www.ebay.com/itm/R-X-W-1950...d=152854105185&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network
    not really sure what that is :eek:

redials/service dials/ lotta frauds as therolexforums warns.

even the tudor ranger that was in the other thread had a tricky one in the bay.