Forums Latest Members

Vintage Rolex bracelets and dating them.......help please!

1. mozambique Aug 10, 2017

Hi,
    Coming to Rolex's as a vintage Omega collector.
    Looking for a vintage Jubilee steel bracelet to go with a '59 DateJust. I gather that pre-76 bracelet clasps were stamped with production month and year (date code after 76). Would that apply to pre-1960 bracelets too? One seller has a '59 jubilee for sale, but I can't see a date stamp on it (trying to confirm with him).

What end links would match a 59 DateJust? Also, I am assuming that the watch and bracelet should have the same production year, or was there a little leeway i.e. a 59 watch could have originally been fitted with a 61 bracelet etc.?

Thanks in advance for any assistance!

McJamesT likes this.
  2. McJamesT Aug 10, 2017

I cant speak to this myself. I am a newbie at most watch related things but I look forward to reading when someone responds. These sorts of exchanges are endlessly fascinating to me. Good luck with your query.

3. TTG Suffers from watch FOMO. Aug 10, 2017

Usually Datejusts take 555 (later production) end links and earlier were 55s, some had no ref #s.
    As far as dating, not sure if the earlier C&I bracelets (rivet) were dated but I know some of the oval links were not.
    I have, for instance, a 60s JB square oval link bracelet from the 60's, which has not date.
    Are you looking for period correct, oyster, or jubilee?
    My personal preference is jubilee.
    Here are a couple of examples, oval and regular jubilee (62510):
    ov2.jpg ov1.jpg

Edited Aug 10, 2017
    Omega1 and McJamesT like this.
  4. mozambique Aug 10, 2017

Hey, thanks for the insight.
    I am kinda OCD when it comes to originality, so whatever it came from the factory with is what I am after - which I understand would have been a Jubilee. So either an oval or regular 62510 would have been OEM?........or could it have come from the factory with an oyster? Were the watches shipped from the factory with the bracelet, or was the bracelet added by the dealer?
    So some of the earlier bracelets were not dated? (makes it easier if I am not looking for a '59 dated one). Were there design differences that identify a 1950's Jubilee vs. a 1960's Jubilee?

5. TTG Suffers from watch FOMO. Aug 11, 2017

As initial background, here is a good article on the history of the Rolex Bracelet:
    https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-06-08/rolex-oyster-bracelet-history
    The article discusses how during the early periods the bracelets were an added accessory, additional cost to the watch.
    During the time, the watch could have easily been fitted with an available oyster (rivet) bracelets for that era, 7206 6636, which now sell for $2-3k+; and/or a C&I bracelet, which currently cost much less.
    So onto common Jubilees for datejusts such as the 62510, 6251h (70s folded), and earlier to USA or JB (some which also could have been made in MX and branded as such).
    Here is a picture of a couple ovals from the 60s, difficult to tell how early they were available since they are not dated. The third bracelet in the bottom is also a USA oval jubilee bracelet on a 1962 watch.
    The oval jubilee is a very comfortable bracelet and would - in my opinion - be appropriate for your watch.
    oval.jpg

Sculler22 and McJamesT like this.