Forums Latest Members

SOLD Vintage Rodania Aquaseal 333 Single Crown Compressor – Near Mint!

1. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Aug 13, 2020

Well, this is a rare bird, and interesting for a number of reasons. Without getting too deeply into the Compressor tangent, let me begin by noting the basics. Compressor and Super Compressor cases were originally patented and manufactured by Ervin Piquerez S.A., also known by its acronym EPSA. The patent related to a case sealing method that actually became more secure as divers went deeper underwater, as the deeper they went, more pressure was exerted on the case-back, pressing it against the O-ring gasket. A very clever design, to say the least! Here's a glimpse at one of the original patent drawings submitted by the company:

[​IMG]

They also produced one of coolest vintage watch-related advertisement designs that I've ever seen:

[​IMG]

The twin-crown Super Compressors, used by many manufacturers, are the most common, and best known collector variant. But the single crown versions, which were typically marketed as a more of a dress watch with high water resistance, are very cool, and largely under the radar.

This is a single crown Compressor, and like the vast majority of this version, it features a snap-back case. As suggested in the headline, the watch is in near-mint condition, though frankly I believe that it is NOS, and was never worn. I bought it many years ago, and it includes what I believe to be the original box, and international guarantee (in several languages).

The dial is an attractive, understated, silver sunburst style, with applied steel markers and the original Tritium intact. The case is the most remarkable part of the package. I say that not so much because it is a single crown Compressor, but because this particular version features a mirror finish case back, and it is exceedingly rare to find such a case back in such fine condition. The reason is simple: mirror polishing will clearly show the slightest flaws, so after they have been worn for a while, they lose the lustre of the original mirror polish finish, and show any scratches.

Using a loupe, one can see a few very light scratches on this example, which on a normal case back would be nearly imperceptible. To the naked eye, though, the back looks virtually untouched, and I have never seen another in such dazzling condition. The case is on the smaller side at 33mm, excluding the iconic cross-hatch crown, a cool design cue found on a very high percentage of all EPSA cased watches.

Because of the condition of the case, I have not attempted to open it, but I guarantee that the movement is in similarly fine condition. It is working, but if the new owner chooses to wear the watch, I would suggest a service, which would almost certainly be its first since it left the factory ~60 years ago!

It may seem odd that a dressy lizard strap would have been supplied with a watch that was touted for its (333 feet) water resistance, but again, these single crown Compressors were often marketed as hybrid sports/dress models, so I have no reason to believe that this isn't the original strap.

I think that I can comfortably assert that readers are unlikely to find another example of this model, or perhaps any single crown Compressor with a mirror-polish back, in this condition. I ask $750 (or EUR equivalent), and within the EU I will include free EMS shipping for free. Outside of the EU, I can either ship for free with tracking, but at the buyer's risk (as no insurance is available with regular shipping), or I would be willing to ship EMS for an extra $50, which is around half of my actual cost.

U.S.-based readers please note that the USPS (or perhaps Customs, more specifically) has been very slow due to the virus issue, so you will need to be patient! Also, Customs has become picky about strap leather, so I will ship the strap separately, using regular shipping, to avoid having the watch and box delayed due to the "exotic" strap leather.

PayPal or bank transfer either in the U.S. or EU would be fine.

Feel free to ask any questions!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Edited Aug 13, 2020
  2. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Aug 15, 2020

A bump before being exposed to a wider audience! Will entertain offers...

Edited Aug 15, 2020
  3. Jonatan Aug 15, 2020

As usual, this is another fantastic piece Tony. GLWS.

Tony C. likes this.
  4. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Aug 18, 2020

Very nice watch with the full set! And as usual a great contextualized write up ;)

Tony C. likes this.
  5. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Aug 18, 2020

Sold! Thanks to the new owner from Down Under, and the supportive OF members and Mods!

Syrte likes this.
  6. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Aug 18, 2020

And thanks to @Syrte for bumping this or I would have missed it.

As we're unable to travel overseas, and our annual holiday has been hit on the head, I consider this money well spent.

I shall now equate it (in memory and meaning) to a night's stay in Paris (at the lovely Marriott Ambassador on Haussmann), followed by a night at the Hotel Britania in Lisbon.

And when times again become normal, we will complete our virtual holiday with a real life visit to those places again.

DaveK, slique12, maanu and 7 others like this.
  7. Walrus Aug 18, 2020

@Tony C. where do you find these things you come across some very interesting pieces many of which I never knew existed. I’m not trying to find your source you are in another country anyway I just wonder if you stumble across these things in the wild or over the interweb. Feel free to ignore me if I’m being to nosey it’s just very impressive

CaptainWinsor likes this.
  8. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Aug 18, 2020

Thanks @Walrus ! I have been collecting for a long time, and have sourced most of my watches on the internet, probably ~15% at watch fairs and elsewhere when I travel, and a few from collector friends. I have always loved the hunt, and would say that the two biggest advantages that I have enjoyed have been a lot of free time to search the 'net, and the confidence to blaze my own trail, rather than always following the crowd. The latter wasn't so much a matter of having a special eye, but rather recognizing that almost all watch companies from the mid-20th Century produced some interesting and/or attractive, good-quality watches. So, instead of specializing in certain types (e.g. military, chronographs, etc.), or brands, I sought out (and still seek) models that resonate for some reason, irrespective of the manufacturer.

That's not to say that I don't have a higher percentage of preferred brands in my collection – I do. But I am always open to an interesting, attractive, and well-made watch, and do feel a bit of extra pleasure when I find something that is under the radar, not least of which because such watches tend to represent very good value.

Edited Aug 18, 2020
  9. Faz Aug 18, 2020

Rodania, such an inateresting and discreet story in the world of horological stories. They had a knack for the unusual.

Tony C. likes this.