Forums Latest Members

SOLD Vintage RCAF Wrist Watch

1. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Feb 6, 2016

I am listing these watches on behalf of a client, and the watches are not in my possession. Any interested buyer that contacts me will be put in touch with the watch owner for negotiations and to work out the details of any potential sale. My only involvement is listing the watches here. Text and photos from the owner below. Cheers, Al

"This is a WW2 Royal Canadian Air Force (RCAF) watch with a solid, stainless steel E.Morph case and an AS 984 hand wind movement with blued hands and plexy crystal. The case and movement would date this watch to somewhere between late 1941 to early 1942. The watch is 35mm across and was serviced by Archer Watches and has sat in the box untouched ever since. It comes on a new black calf strap.

I bought this from the family of the original owner, who was a career RCAF pilot who served bomber duty through WW2 (so this watch has been in multiple bombing raids). The watch was recalled by the Air Force for service in the early 1960s, when it was outfitted with the white dial it currently has. Originally, it had a black dial.

This watch is in outstanding condition for a 75 year old military watch, and a rare example of a solid stainless steel RCAF milwatch. The movement fires up and run strongly.

Asking US$500 plus shipping globally."

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Canuck Feb 6, 2016

Solid stainless? You sure? To my uneducated eye, that looks to be chrome plated! Why do I see brass?

Syrte, DirtyDozen12 and Traveler like this.
  3. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Feb 6, 2016

Al is clearly stating he is only listing on a clients behalf so I am sure this question is for the seller, Canuck.
    I do agree with you totally.

My question of the seller is regarding provenance of the WWII bombing missions, do we have names, info or pictures?
    Would make a world of difference.

Without provenance, a service by Archer is the main selling point.

It does feel like a Vet though, eh Jim?.

4. Canuck Feb 6, 2016

5. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Feb 7, 2016

Correct - he screwed up the description - the case back that the movement sits in is stainless, but the case frame is plated.

984 is the base movement - I pulled out the disk with the photos from when I serviced it...

[​IMG]

Cheers, Al

Etp095 likes this.
  6. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Feb 7, 2016

I guess I'm now doing more than just listing this...no good deed goes unpunished. I have no idea what provenance he has, so I will ask and post the answers here...

7. Canuck Feb 7, 2016

My AS 1007 which I modified to run sdrawkcab a number of years ago. Most of the parts of the AS 984 and AS 1007 are interchangeable
    . image.jpeg

8. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Feb 7, 2016

Response...

"Nothing but the story from the original owner's daughter. She did have a photo of her dad in uniform beside a Liberator in RCAF in WW2 but that was it."

Cheers, Al

UncleBuck likes this.
  9. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Feb 7, 2016

You gotta love it.
    I bet it's spot on, too.
    Thank God, no Uncles in the story!

Alpha likes this.
  10. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Feb 9, 2016

Sold - thanks to buyer and OF on behalf of my client.