Forums Latest Members

Vintage rally strap info requested

1. TropicConnie Aug 4, 2020

Hi folks,

I'm wondering if there's any info that can be provided on a rally strap which came on a watch I purchased recently? The only marking it has is "L/419" stamped on the underside. A quick Google search for that showed 2 results for similar straps with asking prices of $200 and $100, and maybe it came with Heuer watches.

Is it something special, and are they actually worth those prices?

Thanks in advance, for any info out there!

2. TexOmega Aug 4, 2020

pix please

DaveK, TropicConnie and X350 XJR like this.
  3. TropicConnie Aug 4, 2020

I knew I was missing something!

IMG_20200805_122546.jpg

4. Dan S Aug 4, 2020

Is it rubber? Leather? Can we see the markings? Is there a buckle? Like pulling teeth here.

5. TropicConnie Aug 4, 2020

It's rubber, but the texture has the appearance of pebble grain leather. As I said in the first post, the only identifier on the watch is the code "L/419". There was a buckle but it was generic with no markings. I've given you all I have to work with, in the hope somebody here may know something. Hardly justified to say it's like pulling teeth. You think I'm trying to be difficult?

Edited Aug 5, 2020
  6. Dan S Aug 4, 2020

Not deliberately. But it’s much more helpful when people proactively do their best to provide every piece of information they can, instead of waiting to be prompted. You still haven’t shown photos of the markings or the generic clasp which could perhaps provide clues to people who are knowledgeable. You shouldn’t assume that you know what will or will not be helpful.

it would also be helpful if you could at least tell us the material instead of being vague about it. I’m finding it strange that you can’t distinguish between rubber and leather and that you won’t provide more photos. Do you actually have the strap?

OmegaP99 likes this.
  7. TropicConnie Aug 4, 2020

Of course I can tell the difference between rubber and leather, I never said I don't know what it's made of, did I? I literally said it's rubber. I also said it came with a watch I purchased recently, therefore I have it. Please learn to read. I've already told you what the markings are, what difference will a photograph make? The buckle isn't original to the strap and is thus irrelevant in identifying it.

Edited Aug 4, 2020
  8. krogerfoot Aug 5, 2020

I read your post and came away with the same understanding Dan did. If you think he’s the one coming off worse in this exchange, take another look.

Farmer, OmegaP99 and TropicConnie like this.
  9. TropicConnie Aug 5, 2020

Not my fault if anyone here is illiterate. I explained myself in plain English and did my best to answer relevant questions. I don't think anyone is coming off better or worse, I think some people need to learn to read and extrapolate information when it's clearly been provided already. It would save me from wasting my day restating myself.

10. krogerfoot Aug 5, 2020

Well, I'm sure someone more literate than myself will be along to get you the information you require. Good luck with that.

Farmer and OmegaP99 like this.
  11. guwipa Aug 5, 2020

Is it perhaps Corfam straps you're looking for? There were several straps in the 60s and 70s preferrably used by Heuer and Omega and I think someone relaunched it some years ago.

Might be worth a short research at Google to clarify about that.

12. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 5, 2020

Very few Corfam straps survived, because of the way the material degenerated. If it is Corfam then that would be something...

13. TexOmega Aug 5, 2020

I'm usually predisposed to help, but, nawwww.::yawn::....:coffee:

14. Dan S Aug 5, 2020

I like how you edited your post after the fact to make it seem like you said it's rubber. Originally, you indicated that you weren't sure. Pretty deceptive.

TropicConnie likes this.
  15. YY77 Aug 5, 2020

@TropicConnie ::popcorn::

TropicConnie and Farmer like this.
  16. OmegaP99 Aug 5, 2020

giphy.gif

TropicConnie likes this.
  17. TropicConnie Aug 5, 2020

Actually, I edited it to make it more explicit to folks who can't read properly. The meaning was never lost or altered. Since when does saying "I guess" indicate total uncertainty? To put it another way, my guess is that it's rubber. It could be plastic, or silicone, or corfam for all I know...

18. Vitezi Aug 5, 2020

TropicConnie likes this.