Forums Latest Members
  1. smorrisonmd Nov 7, 2016

I am a long time vintage Omega collector that usually haunts other forums, but don't believe I have posted here before. Some may know me from elsewhere, to those that don't, Hello!
    This vintage Railmaster has an atrocious redial which probably turned off some bidders. But the rest of the watch is IMHO superb:
    SNB10017.JPG SNB10016.JPG SNB10013.JPG SNB10011.JPG SNB10010.JPG The bracelet is as good as I have ever seen and includes the correct end pieces; the case has original brushed/polished finish with minimal marks; crown is correct with the Mercedes within the Omega; movement and inner case are in excellent condition.

Would love to source an original vintage dial, but realize that is a long shot. Short of that, I am open to suggestions. Many thanks in advance!

2. watchyouwant ΩF Clairvoyant Nov 7, 2016

good luck ! kind regards. achim

3. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Nov 7, 2016

Good luck also. Looking at the photos it looks like the case may have been refinished.

marturx likes this.
  4. jens0125 knows that watches were made to be worn Nov 7, 2016

I saw this one too ... the dial ...is um... my thoughts would be to get an omega service dial....
    And swap that while you hunt for an original dial ... as that may take years..... also if you do find one it will probably cost as much as the watch it self....

5. 72c Nov 8, 2016

This was an interesting auction, most unusual to see such a scarce watch otherwise as complete as this with a such a crudely done dial. It's also one of those unusual moments when a redial could make it look so much better.

A reworker like www.watchdialrestoration.co.uk would be worth considering. Even though the fonts will bound to be a bit off, and the radium markers impossible to correctly replicate, it's sure to end up looking better than what you have now, that's the path I'd go down.

That would tide you over at least until (if?) the correct dial turns up. Good luck!

6. DON Nov 8, 2016

Get it refinished. Find a good clean image of an original dial or if another member has one. Take measurements of all the wording etc. needed to redo.

Here's my long gone Tudor Sub. The original dial was in very poor condition, but I took measurements of the wording (height, from edge, spacing etc.) and had the company make up a new printing plate to replicate on another poor dial.

Vintage luminous. it isn't. It's tan paint to give it the vintage look

Not original, but looked fine for daily use

[​IMG]

DON

7. DIV Dec 2, 2016

I did bid on this one myself and if I would have won, I would have changed the dial with one of those Singapore-based redials that I see on eBay, but alas, I didn't win. I think the crystal is also wrong, or lacks the retaining ring or something or other because the "inner bezel" or rehaut etc. looks too narrow.

Best of luck and please keep us updated.

8. Swissgmt1675 Dec 2, 2016

at least the band looks nice....:D Best of luck..

9. cimo Dec 2, 2016

Fetched a pretty penny for the shape of the dial. I guess the hammer price is reasonable figuring in the price of a tasteful restoration. The last one I saw go on eBay was between 7-8k in "estate fresh" condition as they say. Crystal was beat but the rest was in good shape.

It looks like the paint has been scraped off the hands of this one. Not unsalvageable though.