Forums Latest Members
  1. JonSpoon Dec 28, 2018

My great uncle brought this watch back from WWII. I’ve identified the Swiss silver marking (grouse) and the German marking (crown with crescent moon) on the case. I believe this indicates that the case was made by the Swiss for export to Germany.
    There is not visible serial number on the works. However, I did find a posting of works that look identical and that posting identifies the works as a Brandt Freres - predesesor of Omega.
    Does anyone here recognize the works? Can you confirm by the picture that is an old Omega?
    I’ve been quoted $300 US to have it cleaned, but I’m not sure if it will be worth cleaning.
    Your input is much appreciated.

806929D5-E7DF-4088-9C79-AFB7A3699B1D.jpeg 2EF47595-DFF5-42E3-9A63-5788D35DCD34.jpeg F877BE5C-C65C-4392-BF9B-5B1ADBCF8A3B.jpeg 5F5DD144-1D12-4298-B5EC-AD4D471696A1.jpeg
  2. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Dec 28, 2018

I'm no expert on these, but the movement looks much older than WWII. Maybe 1920's, maybe earlier? Very difficult to tell with these unbranded Swiss movements.

Unless the watch has a special sentimental value, which can't be measured in monetary terms, I don't think the value is there for spending that much on fixing it up.
    gatorcpa

airansun and dan7800 like this.
  3. dan7800 Dec 28, 2018

What military was your great uncle in? How did he acquire the watch?

My grandfathers were all WWII vets and I loved hearing their stories. Sadly they've all passed. I love hearing stories about old WWII vets.

Welcome to the forum

4. JonSpoon Dec 29, 2018

Thank you for your input.
    I agree that the watch was made much before the WWII era. If it does match the other works that I’ve seen, this is a late 19th century watch.
    I’m suspicious of the dial and think it has been replaced at some point.
    Thanks again for your input.

dan7800 likes this.
  5. JonSpoon Dec 29, 2018

I too love old stories. Telling stories is becoming a lost art, now that we get most of our entertainment digitally.
    My great uncle did not tell many stories about the war. He has a Purple Heart, so I know that he was injured, but I don’t have the specifics. My grandfather says that Uncle Bev was clumsy and rolled down a hill during a march and hurt himself; but, my grandfather loved to tell a yarn in an effort to give anyone else a hard time.
    The watch has the name Aug Schaper ingraved. That is a name that originated in Germany; so, I assume my uncle looted the watch off a German soldier or traded another US service man for it. Unfortunately, I don’t know exactly how he got it.

noelekal and dan7800 like this.
  6. dan7800 Dec 29, 2018

Wow what a great story. One of my grandfather's was a medic in Europe with the 21st General Hospital. He didn't talk much about things until the very end (he lived to the age of 100 and passed away in 2017). When he started talking about the war he got really emotional and spoke of the horrors he saw. I had to change the subject. My other grandfather was on DE-42, he spoke quite a bit about the war. Some of the stories were funny, most others were obviously not and incredibly sad.

You can go through the US army research center (https://www.archives.gov/veterans/replace-medals) to find more information. I did that and even got replacement medals. Unfortunately, many records were lost in a fire in the 70's

7. Canuck Dec 29, 2018

This watch has a cylinder escapement, instead of the jewelled lever type which is preferred for reliability and accuracy. It also used the “pin-setting” feature. The button on the edge of the case is pressed inward to allow setting of the hands when the crown (winder) is turned. The bridge style movement is very common in Swiss watches of the last decades of the 19th century, so identifying this as a watch of Brandt origin can’t be nailed down, unless the movement has an identifying trade mark. The name engraved inside the case back was done by an engraving machine, not done by hand. This would indicate to me that the name was added when the watch was already very old. As to spending a bunch of money having it serviced? Only if you are desperate, and are prepared to waste your money. Not too many watchmakers will work on watches with cylinder escapement.

dan7800 likes this.
  8. JonSpoon Dec 29, 2018

Great information! I never thought the watch would be worth much monitarially, but I wanted to better understand its value as a working watch. With the information you have provided, I’ll let it remain a conversation peace in its current rustic state.
    I want to carry a pocket watch and since this one would not be a good daily carry, I’m considering a American Waltham Watch from the late 19th century or a Swiss Watch from the early 20th century. I plan to do some more research and reading on this forum before I decide.
    Thanks again for sharing your knowledge.