Forums Latest Members

Vintage Patek - serial number vs. date of manufacture question

1. MarktheTime Oct 5, 2018

Hi, I've been looking at a particular vintage Patek time-only watch, that looks to be in original and very good cosmetic condition. Seller has shown me an extract from Patek that precisely matches the reference, case number and serial number of the watch (same metal, too). According to the Extract, the watch was "born" in 1949 and sold in 1950. I was surprised, however, to see a serial number on the movement (caliber 12-120) in the 965xxx range. I had expected to see a number in the 700xxx-725xxx range, based on tables I've seen online of Patek serial numbers. This particular reference was, I believe, produced for a long time, from the mid-40s to the early 60s. Interestingly, I've been able to find another example of the exact same reference in the exact same dial configuration and metal (NOT the exact same watch) sold at auction in 2005, with very similar serial numbers (967xxx) and case numbers to the watch I'm considering, which provides "some" comfort..
    I guess my question is whether I should be concerned/surprised to see a 965xxx serial movement in a 1950 watch, and if so, how the extract could say otherwise (assuming it's not forged, which I suspect is pretty unlikely knowing the seller's reputation). Is the table I was looking at wrong? Or am I missing some other obvious explanation?
    Thanks in advance.

Edited Oct 5, 2018
  2. MarktheTime Oct 5, 2018

@billving - hi Bill, I should have thought of you first...any expert insights here? Thanks in advance!

3. MarktheTime Oct 5, 2018

I now realize the answer. Different calibers (12-200 in this case) have different blocks of serial numbers associated with them. The serial number of this movement matches perfectly with the block of caliber 12-200 movements from the 1949 time frame. Much relief!

4. billving Oct 5, 2018

Just got home. Reference?

MarktheTime likes this.
  5. billving Oct 5, 2018

Oops. Was answering the first... didn’t see the last.

MarktheTime likes this.
  6. sdre Oct 5, 2018

The forum loves pictures :) please post one!

MarktheTime likes this.
  7. MarktheTime Oct 5, 2018

Not just yet...;)