Forums Latest Members
  1. DSI Jun 16, 2020

2. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jun 16, 2020

At the very least, a pocket watch with lugs attached.
    gatorcpa

DSI likes this.
  3. DSI Jun 16, 2020

Thank you for the reply! U think the price of 908 is worth it?

4. Dan S Jun 16, 2020

Worth what? It's an auction. Most likely this was an orphaned movement that was re-cased.

BTW, this is that Canadian seller that posts dozens of watch auctions biannually (or so). He is apparently one of those watch buyers that goes city to city. He changes his eBay account each year.

apsm100 and DSI like this.
  5. DSI Jun 16, 2020

Awesome thank you! Just got into the vintage watch scene so forgive my ignorance. Yesterday was my first omega vintage purchase

6. Sam11 Jun 16, 2020

Do you know the seller Dan? As in do you know if he is reliable given that he changes his ebay account each year

7. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jun 17, 2020

I bought a very nice Universal Uni-Compax at a very reasonable price from one of his auctions a couple of years ago.

My impression is that seller is a picker or buys from pickers from all over Canada. They may also be consigners of other people’s items. They sell a lot of memorabilia (mostly hockey and Montreal Expos stuff). A lot of US/Canadian coins and currency, too.

They have very little idea about what watches they are selling other than condition of running, or not. I have seen fake Omegas scattered in the listings from time to time.

You have to know what you are buying with this seller. If you do, you could get a great deal.
    gatorcpa

Sam11, Eve and apsm100 like this.
  8. Dan S Jun 17, 2020

My impression is exactly the same, and I have bid on some of his auctions, although I don't think I've won anything yet. The watches purchased from him generally look better in person, but as you say, you can't trust that the watches are vetted. Some are good and some are awful. I have seen a number of frankens and even a few fakes.

I have no idea why he keeps changing his user name. That seems a little sketchy, but I don't have any other reason to be suspicious. I would still bid on his watches under the right circumstances.

Sam11 likes this.
  9. JohnLy Jun 17, 2020

Agree, recased pocket watch.

10. Dan S Jun 17, 2020

As I'm following some of the auctions, there is one buyer, with a 31k feedback score (so presumably a dealer), bidding aggressively on many of the higher-end watches. So we may see many of these watches, cleaned up with better photographs, listed again soon.

Edit: Sheesh, I guess I'm just not aggressive enough in this COVID-boredom world where people are making crazy bids for risky listings. I just lost 3 auctions on this guy's watches. TBH, I really should have bid more for one of them, the winner probably got a really good deal. But it's hard for me to go into the $20k range based on his crappy photos.

Edited Jun 17, 2020
  11. Sam11 Jun 17, 2020

20k usd???!!! What was it?

12. Dan S Jun 17, 2020

Gilt 1675. Probably worth $25k-$30k, but the photos are awful and it would just be a leap of faith. I just tried to get it at a bargain price, but the bidder with 31k feedback covered my bid. Maybe an actual dealer who is buying, or maybe a shill.

13. Sam11 Jun 17, 2020

Wiw very brave for so much money when the photos does not flatter the pieces at all!

14. MikeMan2727 Jun 17, 2020

I think it is quite possibly a shill bidder, given the history of this seller.

Screen Shot 2020-06-17 at 10.56.50 PM.png
    Only 8 total bids in the last 30 days for a buyer with 31k feedback is odd. All 8 are with this seller...

15. Dan S Jun 17, 2020

Yes, it's certainly possible, and this seller has a reputation of doing that, as you say. The thought definitely crossed my mind. And if the bidder had been a low feedback account, I would have been even more suspicious. Why risk such an established account to make shill bids? Although, maybe that's the scam. Use the established account to give the bids credibility. 31k is a huge number, so someone is legitimately selling a lot of items using that account.

16. Dan S Jun 17, 2020

Not brave enough, I guess. Many people have won some very nice pieces in these auctions, that are much better in person. I wasn't really willing to take the big risk. If I had gotten it for my bid, I would have been safe even if the watch had shown up with some flaws.