Forums Latest Members

Vintage patek corrosion problems

1. justwatching Dec 13, 2015

I wouldnt want to ruffle his feathers. He still has some interesting watches the im considering. I guess its up to us to do due diligence in making sure the watch is in acceptable condition before we buy.

2. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Dec 14, 2015

No

3. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Dec 14, 2015

The advice given doesn't seem to have sunk in yet.

The PP is a heap of shit at any price.

And any other watches that this vendor is touting would need a very good review from here before you wasted your money.

My advice would be to move along and find other outlets that have better watches, maybe even ΩForums.

:D

4. Horlogerie EU based Professional Watchmaker Dec 14, 2015

It needs a complete teardown and detailed inspection to determine the condition of the movement - before you buy it. If the movement ran properly, there was no other damage or wear, and of course the price was right, I would buy it, then I would take it apart, and send the parts away for re-plating with rhodium.

Without a detailed inspection, it is too risky, so no, I would not buy it like this...

Rob

alford78 likes this.
  5. justwatching Dec 14, 2015

I have decided to pass on this watch since the first negative comment from you guys. thank you once again for the help. If anyone is selling a vintage patek thats atleast 35mm please pm me.

6. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Dec 14, 2015

Why Patek? There are lots of quality vintage dress watches in our FOr Sale forum that are 35mm for example

https://omegaforums.net/threads/omega-centenary-ref-2500.32737/

ELV web likes this.
  7. justwatching Dec 14, 2015

No particular reason, been looking for a nice vintage dress watch for some time now and the vintage pateks seems like the perfect dress watch. Ok will check the link. Thank you

8. al128 unsolicited co-moderation giverer Dec 19, 2015

+ you would def. have the watch back from PP in less than a year

9. saturn1981 Dec 22, 2015

The movement looks bad. I would say it would cost you a fair price to put right.

10. RDL Jul 14, 2021

I purchased an Omega Speedmaster Professional from Swiss Watch Expo (SWE) and had a horrible experience them - buyer beware.

11. TasMike Jul 23, 2021

Just going back to the OP pics and comparing the images with those on the listing for this watch on their web site, it's amazing how "the natural effect of age of the rhodium plating" has magically disappeared on the web site photo of the movement and the position of the regulator appears to have become more central - although the missing screwheads are still missing.

https://www.swisswatchexpo.com/watc...rava-18k-yellow-gold-vintage-mens-2448-25440/

rolex mvmnt.jpg

12. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jul 23, 2021

It's amazing what a good photo editing program can do.

By the way, there are no broken screw heads or missing screws. You may be looking at pivots or tips of screws inserted from below.

13. TasMike Jul 23, 2021

Agreed - I wouldn't trust a dealer who used one though.

Ahh...thought it was odd that having photo-shopped the rust they'd leave damaged screws on display.

14. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jul 25, 2021

There’s no rust, never was. The plating that was missing on the main plate is still missing.