Forums Latest Members
  1. vspadeasr Jan 9, 2013

I am looking for some information on this Omega one button chrono from 1940. Movement serial number is 9384195 and the case serial number is 9555361. I am intereseted in the value of this watch. It runs but needs to be serviced. I was wondering how rare this model is and if it is worth sending to Switzerland to have it re-done?

106_1061.JPG 106_1059.JPG

2. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Jan 9, 2013

[​IMG]

French market one-button chrono - iconic enough that Omega itself did a historical reissue of it (Museum Watch # 3). Given its age, it is in very very good shape. Darned rare too...

...the experts will be along in a minute....

cristos71 and MyVintageOmega like this.
  3. kyle L Grasshopper Staff Member Jan 9, 2013

Do not touch that dial! :eek:

4. ulackfocus Jan 9, 2013

Don't mess with that watch's appearance! No polishing, no messing with the dial - just have the movement serviced.

5. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 9, 2013

The question is more, "Is it worth not sending it to Switzerland and having it re-done." The answer is yes, Do Not send it., have a watch like this refinished can cut half or more of the watches value. In some cases watches lose many thousand in value. The collectability of a watch depends on rarity, condition and originality. The watch should be service by a watch maker who is knowledgeable ans sensitive to these points.

Mark020 likes this.
  6. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Jan 9, 2013

Fabulous watch, don't let Bienne touch it.

Find a good reputable watchmaker and have it serviced ONLY.

7. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 9, 2013

Holy crap, look how clean that thing is!?

(qualifier: 90% of these things look terrible, this one, for its age and hopeless water-tightness is amazing)

8. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jan 9, 2013

According to the Omega Vintage Database, this watch is Ref. CK 2048 from the late 1930's.

[​IMG]
    Reference
    CK 2048​
    International collection
    1937​
    MovementType:
    Manual winding (mechanical)​
    Caliber number:
    33,3 CHRO Lemania​
    17 jewels​
    Created in 1933​
    Functions
    Tachymeter, Chronograph​
    Case
    Stainless steel​
    Case back
    Press-in​
    Dial existing with different designs
    Crystal
    Not available​
    Bracelet
    Leather​
    Water resistance
    Not available​

I was able to find a 2008 auction record from Christies showing one that sold for a little less than $30K. I'll let the rarity of this piece speak for itself.

http://www.christies.com/lotfinder/watches/omega-a-fine-and-very-rare-stainless-5065186-details.aspx

OK, so maybe that one had a premium due to the black dial, but it was 2008. Values have steadily risen for rare watches since then.

I wouldn't chance sending to Omega.

That is quite a find!
    gatorcpa

9. watchyouwant ΩF Clairvoyant Jan 10, 2013

very good condition; don`t touch it ! here is mine with the black dial:

[​IMG]

it was not only for the french market; in fact it has the nick name" berlin olympics "due to the release date. your bezel is excellent; mine is worn . a rare piece of watchmaking history. if it is yours, keep it. kind regards. achim

Mark020 likes this.
  10. agee Jan 10, 2013

Fabulous watch, first of its kind that I have seen
    Congrats

11. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Jan 10, 2013

vspadeasr, we could certainly use some more pictures if you would be so kind...

Achim, I made the remark about french market because of the "Fab. Suisse," and meant it only apropos of this particular example. I did not mean to imply that the reference overall was for ze french. Good to know about the "berlin olympic" name.

12. tomvox1 Jan 10, 2013

Amazing, amazing piece of history there in wonderful original condition. Just wow!
    Congrats & enjoy,
    T.

13. AJDay Jan 10, 2013

I know absolutely nothing about this watch, but I could look at those two pictures all day... I think it somehow embodies why I love vintage watches.

14. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Jan 10, 2013

Could someone please explain to me all of the various numbers! I can work out the hours, minutes, and the two sub-registers for the chrono, but what about:
    - the red "telemetre" numbers;
    - the blue "base" numbers inside that; and
    - the blue numbers that swirl round from 60 down to 20

15. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Jan 10, 2013

Think of the the telemetre as a range finder. It is calibrated to the speed of sound. Start the chronograph when you see the flash and stop it when you hear the report. It tells you how far away the event was. Useful for lightning, artillery, etc.

The blue registers are your standard old tachymeter that just goes around more than one rotation. The railroad track register is the first rotation, and the spiral - which you will note begins at '60' - takes over from there. Thus, three full rotations of the second hand = 20 units per hour.

Don't overlook the outer decimal scale. This watch has all 3 of the common accessory registers that chronographs can have - decimeter, telemeter, tachymeter.

16. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 10, 2013

Much like an iphone is today, in 1937 this would have been a pretty impressive piece of technology to have strapped to one's wrist, and those features may have actually been quite useful.

17. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Jan 10, 2013

decimeter???
    and where are the telemeter and decimeter on a modern speedy?

18. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Jan 10, 2013

You can get them but you have to chose among the three. Each is available as a separate bezel.

dsio likes this.
  19. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 10, 2013

Why choose when you can merely wear three watches.:rolleyes:

dsio likes this.
  20. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 10, 2013

Precisely. More watches is always the solution.