Forums Latest Members
  1. Alphomega Oct 2, 2012

Hey guys I am looking to match my vintage Omega from the early 50's, and I was wondering where can I find the time correct strap buckle and what is there going price. Also was there ever differences between gents and ladies watch? Any info will help, thanks for looking.

2. Alphomega Oct 2, 2012

basically what I'm asking is would any vintage omega leather strap buckle would suffice, and if there was an difference between the gents and ladies, how to tell the difference.

3. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Oct 2, 2012

There were many different buckle styles over the years.

Measure the end of your intended strap and pick a style you like. There are plenty of them listed on eBay.

Generally a women's buckle will be much more narrow.

4. Alphomega Oct 2, 2012

Thanks for the reply. Yeah sounds good going to look for them soon haha, found a few are both gents?

1.jpg 2.jpg
  5. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Oct 2, 2012

I would say that the dividing line (at least for Omega) is about 13mm wide. That size or larger, and it's a men's buckle. It is sometimes hard to find watchbands that taper from 18mm lugs down to 13mm or 14mm at the buckle end. They are just not made like that anymore.

Swiss made buckles are usually hallmarked on the back side, even if steel (Inox) plated (Plaque G). US made buckles are not hallmarked unless solid gold. Steel or plated buckles sometimes just say "Omega" on the back.

You have to be careful on eBay, there are a lot of fake buckles there. Some were cast from originals.

Hope this helps,
    gatorcpa

Alphomega likes this.
  6. Alphomega Oct 2, 2012

Awesome information much appreciated. Yeah I noticed there were a lot of fake, will keep an eye out thanks again.