Forums Latest Members
  1. KukuBert Apr 21, 2016

Saw this being listed on eBay (http://www.ebay.com/itm/111970370400?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:ITPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network). While it has ended, is this real? It looks pretty unique for a vintage Omega, don't think I've chanced upon one with a red logo.

Understandably, the seller mentioned that this is a redial, but I'm wondering if the redial held the original colors. That's to say, the dial used to have red on it.

Thoughts?

Pictures:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Edited Apr 21, 2016
  2. ahsposo Most fun screen name at ΩF Apr 21, 2016

A Korean Kreation...

3. cimo Apr 21, 2016

Hard to say. At first glance it looks good, but to be honest I stay away from the watches coming out of Korea only because they are "too clean."

I have seen dozens of auctions for various Seamasters from Seoul and the cases and dials show no age whatsoever. This means either they have been restored beyond what I would want from a vintage piece, or worse, they are redials (even if good ones at that) with recast cases.

Maybe someone else has more info. I guess it's possible they just have some of the cleanest, best preserved watches out there. But I'll stay cautious until this is confirmed.

4. KukuBert Apr 21, 2016

Added pictures directly to my post for easier reference.

Oddly enough, it was sold for only slightly above 400 USD, which really piqued my interest.

And cimo, you're right, it seems like there are many clean vintage Omegas from Korea. I think I've chanced upon another one earlier, I'll look for the link to further the discussion.

Here's another one, but unfortunately no movement pictures for this. http://www.ebay.com/itm/201561632880?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:ITPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

5. Skrotis Apr 21, 2016

red omega mark and haircross whit white index is frequently showing up in Sweden and when the former omega agent J-B Brant closed down i know about 200 dials where in stock.
    I don't have any photos but i believe some of the Swedish people should have some.
    the lume is wrong and i believe the hands correct could be a partly renovated dial.
    crown is wrong

Edited Apr 21, 2016
  6. Skrotis Apr 21, 2016

7. Joe K. Curious about this text thingy below his avatar Apr 21, 2016

Skrotis likes this.
  8. KukuBert Apr 21, 2016

Seems like the dial in the watch sold is pretty heavily refinished, but it looks good nonetheless. Shall keep a lookout for a similar watch.

Keeping the thread on the original dial ind mind, does the selling price of 425 USD justify its selling condition?

9. Skrotis Apr 22, 2016

Made a photo of one sorry for quality,on the train. image.jpeg

Giff2577 and KukuBert like this.
  10. Northernman Lemaniac Apr 22, 2016

Where as the one you are posting looks ok, the original post is IMO a redial "inspired" by the design of yours..
    Observe the thickness of the fonts and the details on the OP. Not good.

11. Skrotis Apr 22, 2016

U are wright

12. KukuBert Apr 22, 2016

Really impressed that this dial actually exists, in fact the one @Skrotis has seems to be of pristine condition. Any idea where I can get one these days?

And @Northernman you're right, the font does seem a bit cakey, and the lumes look kinda off. Though at the end of the day, I must say that the quality of redials by the Koreans are pretty amazing. Apart from the somewhat distinguishable redials, the rest of the watch is in its original form.

Speaking of the lumes, at the risk of being slightly off topic, is there any way a dial's lumes can be redone? I've a watch that has dying lumes (non-tritium), and I've the intention of 'restoring' it.

13. Skrotis Apr 22, 2016

if you like the index I guess this is the closest u get on seamaster 600 image.jpeg

Giff2577 likes this.
  14. Skrotis Apr 22, 2016

Reluming is quite common on the high grade watches

15. tdn-dk Apr 22, 2016

They were for real, (the OP's is redone) here from the AJTT

IMG_8434.JPG

marturx and Northernman like this.
  16. dragoman Apr 22, 2016

Actually, these dials came in a variety of sizes and colours:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mostly, as Seamaster 600 with either a 601 or a 613 movement, and often in a 135.011 or 136.011 case, but also as Seamaster 600 in other smaller cases.

There were other variants, without the Seamaster 600 moniker

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And there were also Automatic Seamaster with similar dials (usuallly, in 166/5-002 cases):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

...and Geneves...

[​IMG]

... and Devilles (although this one is a ladies')

[​IMG]

One could say that for Omega this dial design was the pringles of the day: once you pop, you can't stop.

nickw, Wongo, tamura and 2 others like this.