Forums Latest Members

Vintage Omega Triple Date "Capt J Scott" from the 1940's

1. crownsandchronos Mar 10, 2019

Hello all, what do you guys think about this vintage Omega Triple Date Moonphase 'Capt J Scott' Cal 27DLPC Ref 2471/1? A watch with a mystery. The case back is engraved, and this is where it gets interesting, "Capt J Scott, From Directors, Mercury Airways, Valorous Deeds, 11-10-48". Now who was Captain J Scott? What "Valorous Deeds" did he do on the 11-10-1948? No one knows. What is great is that every time you look at the watch you wonder who he was and what he did and by not knowing kind of makes the watch that much more interesting and intriguing.

IMG_2170_compressed.jpg IMG_2171.JPG IMG_2174.JPG IMG_2175.JPG IMG_2176.JPG IMG_2181.JPG

IMG_2181.JPG
    janice&fred likes this.
  2. Omega world Mar 10, 2019

Very beautiful watch ,mystery of the assignment is a plus to buy this watch!

P.S. The movement needs an revision!

3. Professor Mar 12, 2019

Possibly one of those daring emergency landing situations with passengers all saved. I've read of a few of that period. The old DC 3 could land just about anywhere and had the rep for zero passenger fatalities for decades.

janice&fred likes this.
  4. OMEGuy Mar 12, 2019

Though I'd usually say that the dial of this watch is somewhat beyond patina in my sense, I think it looks very attractive. And this mysterious but believable South African story is something that is plus, definitely.

The story even inspired me to google 'Mercury Airways'.

Maybe Capt. J. Scott is here in the picture?

[​IMG]