Forums Latest Members
  1. jamesjames Apr 28, 2012

I was giving my Grandfather's Omega Speedmaster. Can someone give me more info on it? thanks

photo1.JPG photo22.JPG photo3.JPG photo4.JPG

astrosfan likes this.
  2. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 28, 2012

Some info from Chuck Maddox's old site: http://chronomaddox.com/markiireborn.html

Its a Calibre 861 movement, very sturdy, manual wind Speedmaster, bracelet looks original and condition actually looks very good, your grandfather has taken care of it. At its age its definitely worth getting serviced before wearing it but they tend to go forever generally speaking, its a tough and very well made sports chronograph.

3. jamesjames Apr 28, 2012

Thanks for the information Dsio. It's currently not working, I'm taking it to a jewellery shop today owned by a friend as he fixes watches and said it most likely needs a new battery. I phoned Omega and told them its not working but they informed me it would take 4-6 weeks to get analysed.

Out of interest, how much would this have cost my Grandfather in the early 70s and how much is it worth now? I'm not going to sell it, it's an heirloom and I love it!

I never met my Grandfather, my Dad gave it to me a few days ago and it fitted perfectly first time!

4. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 28, 2012

I would be very careful about handing it off to your friend if he thinks it needs a new battery... its a manual wind mechanical watch, with no battery to be found. It needs to be serviced by a professional watchmaker rather than a jeweller and ideally someone with a specialty in Omegas (or Omega themselves). Value is around 1200-1600 USD depending on condition (thats when its running).

You can expect to spend probably US$300 or more to service it correctly and get it running.

5. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 28, 2012

Actually James, if you were thinking it had a battery, I'm guessing you haven't tried winding it? Unscrew the crown (but don't pull it out, just let it pop out once its fully unscrewed so that it can turn both directions freely), then give the crown about 40 clockwise turns and see if it starts ticking.

6. jamesjames Apr 28, 2012

I know nothing about watches. I did last week turn the nobs (for want of a better word) and it started working fine but then the following morning it stopped and hasn't worked since.

I will do what you suggested and see if it works, thanks for your advice. Much appreciated.

I'm going out tonight and would love to get it working, it's a beautiful looking watch when on.

7. jamesjames Apr 28, 2012

I have turned the crown towards 12oclock until it won't turn anymore, but it hasn't popped out. However, it has started ticking. The small dial on the left side is turning and the hands are, but the watch is running very fast. Instead of counting 60secs it's turning the hands after 40secs or so.

Shall I turn the crown anymore the other way? As it hasn't popped out.

Thank you

8. ulackfocus Apr 28, 2012

Please don't fiddle with the watch any more. You are going to damage it by running it when it almost surely needs to be serviced. The oils have dried up inside it and there's probably some dirt. Try to find a decent watchmaker before you do anything else so a wonderful heirloom isn't ruined. Where are you located? If you don't mind shipping the watch, we have a couple very good watchmakers here who can handle the job.

9. astrosfan Apr 28, 2012

Congratulations on your beautiful heirloom! Now, you might give some serious thought to following the advice of the good folks on this forum. Get it serviced by a watchmaking pro, and don't hand it off to a guy that thinks the Speedmaster Chrono uses a battery!!:eek:

Trev likes this.
  10. jamesjames May 1, 2012

Thanks for all the advice everyone. I unfortunately cant afford to spend £300 on getting it professionally services at the moment. However, when I have the spare money I will do and until then I'll refrain from twisting any of the nobs.

11. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member May 1, 2012

There are probably some quality independents near you that could do it for a lot less than that, maybe one of our many other Brits could pipe in with a recommendation

12. JonW Plongeur Professionnel de Bureaux May 2, 2012

James give Steve at Rytetime a call and see what he says, i expect the service will be half of what you were originally quoted.

13. Widows Son May 10, 2012

Nice watch. I have a similar one but mine has the "racing" dial which is a bit more rare.