Forums Latest Members

Vintage Omega SM 300 BT/no date with some interesting bits >

1. jack@iww Apr 1, 2016

[​IMG]
    I got this watch from a watchmaker in Australia who told me it had been abandoned years ago.
    Note the pencil hour hand, non-screw down crown and a bezel with an early, rare font.

The dial lume is original, crazy that it hasn't discolored but there's no doubt in my mind it's original. The H/M hands were relumed at some time in the past but I'll correct that with a better color match.

I've sent a request to Omega for an extract of the archives.

Enjoy.

B/R,
    jack@iww

2. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Apr 1, 2016

I've seen BT dials like this and the nicest one I've ever seen I own and it came in a straight lug case.

3. jack@iww Apr 1, 2016

Wow, in a straight lug case that is certainly rare. My guess is that Omega was using up existing parts that were in house hence some of the variants that pop up every now and then.

4. Ferik Apr 1, 2016

Can you elaborate on why you think that lume is original?

5. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Apr 1, 2016

Probably close inspection - Jack is an expert in lume application for dial and hands for vintage dials.

6. jack@iww Apr 1, 2016

Hi Ferik, yes, I can elaborate on why I believe the lume on the dial is original; I have personally restored/repaired/examined many and I do mean many examples of vintage SM 300s over the last 15 years, as well as numerous other vintage watches of every ilk/mfgr/value etc.

Based on my experience this lume is original. The texture/color is certainly not any application other than Omega's original application. We're it questionable in any way, shape or form I would not make such a definitive statement.

One of my specialties and areas of "expertise" (and I use that term loosely ;-), is luminous applications; both discerning what is original, what is not and also restoring vintage luminous applications to correctly replicate/match original applications in color/texture etc.

Also, just from a personal POV, I would not have paid what I did for this watch if I didn't believe 100% that the dial's lume was original. ;-)

You should visit my web site if you have not done so, I think you'll find some interesting watches there. Enjoy!

Nitzbar, LarryG, smitty190373 and 6 others like this.
  7. LiquidSolid Apr 1, 2016

That's a lovely dial! I've got a RN300 with BT dial that's almost exactly like it. I agree, dial looks original as per Jack. :thumbsup:

8. Joe K. Curious about this text thingy below his avatar Apr 1, 2016

I will second that. In the past (and present :) ) Jack has worked on a number of my watches and has a great deal of experience with exactly these types of issues.

9. Ferik Apr 1, 2016

What prevented that lume to age like mine?[​IMG]

10. jack@iww Apr 1, 2016

Yes, I have seen some RNs with this green color lume as well.

11. jack@iww Apr 1, 2016

Luminous materials age with considerable variation. Many factors are involved such as humidity/moisture intrusion, UV exposure, what type of binder was used for the Tritium application ie. water based or acrylic (if that was even an option back in the day.)

And who knows what the consistency of the pigment "recipes" was between the various manufacturers at that time as well.

A lot of variables were in play IMHO.

maximilian g likes this.
  12. watchlovr Apr 1, 2016

Me too.

13. TNTwatch Apr 1, 2016

Just curious if you could post some close-up pictures of the lumes on dial as well as the hands?

14. kpaxsg Apr 1, 2016

Great to see you here Jack! Missed out on quite a few SM300 you posted for sale over the other site.

15. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Apr 4, 2016

Not even close.

Does the glow match between hands and dial? I might be tempted to leave them....

Tom