Forums Latest Members
  1. ismailadv Feb 28, 2016

Hi guys,

i have been looking for something like this for quite a while..i know these aren't that valuable but look really good and have always wanted a vintage omega. Do you guys think this is a good buy?

Really appreciate what you all are doing here..and the knowledge you guys have is simply mindblowing!

$_57.JPG $_57 (1).JPG $_57 (3).JPG $_57 (2).JPG
  2. DON Feb 28, 2016

Not that one. Dial looks like it was badly cleaned. Hands look aged. Corrosion around case back lip. Bad image of movement and main case and can't make out other problems.

Look for something in better condition

DON

3. dx009 Feb 29, 2016

Although I'm not sure how much this one costs, and how much you're willing to pay, I strongly advise you to keep looking. You will find way better looking Omegas (as far as the condition goes, since everyone has his style preference).

Maybe you can give me a PM, I might be able to offer something...

4. mozartman ♫♭♬ ♪ Feb 29, 2016

No argument with DON or dx009, though I like the slightly weatherbeaten vintage look of watches like this. Depending on the price, you may find one with a cleaner dial might cost $150-250 more. But I think the larger issue on this level is service and repair, not purchase price.

ismailadv likes this.
  5. dx009 Feb 29, 2016

Not the best picture but I'm sure the movement could just use some light cleaning (and perhaps oiling, if it's been a long time). I have to admit that on such forums I rarely encounter people that like watches in this condition.

ismailadv likes this.
  6. arkstfan Feb 29, 2016

Not the best example from what I can see of the photos (nor a close neighbor). Really it comes down to:
    1. Price. Cheap enough then you aren't throwing good money after bad getting it lubed and cleaned and it sure looks in need of service.
    2. Your goals/desires. If you are looking for something you can hold and sell in a couple years to put a 20% down payment on a speedy that ain't it. If you want a vintage that you can wear and enjoy and not worry a lot about accidentally scuffing dollars off of it or something that isn't a mechanical dog that needs frequent care, that could be your watch.

I've put money into watches I like that I have a 0.000001% chance of recovering the money down the road from simply because I liked the watch.

Maybe it is a real bargain, though I've found that people tend to price their pieces based on the best examples with no deduction for the condition of the one they have (one reason I HIGHLY suggest looking at the sale forums here, pricing tends to be much more realistic).

I'm not you, we have different tastes, different likes, different use of what we own, and different motivations (and that's true of me vs. every member here and you vs. every member here) but with that caveat out there. Look hard at it, imagine it on your wrist, and then picture spending another $200 to $300 for service. Do you love it? Me? Even dirt cheap, I have a hard time picturing me falling in love with it and I'm always scoping out Seamasters from that era.

glownyc likes this.
  7. ismailadv Feb 29, 2016

thanks for all your help guys.. i was looking to pay close to $220 for the watch. And it's true, i somewhat like the beaten up look of the watch, but considering the service im defintely going to pass on this one. Just wondering, how do you guys know that this needs servicing?

Honestly i dont care about making money down the road or anything, but atleast something that will hold its value.

8. novina Feb 29, 2016

Assume any watch you buy will need a service if it is not mentioned in the add and they have proof. A "I had it serviced, but don't have any receipt" doesn't work well with vintage watches. And as it is an AUTOMATIC, service is required every 5 years or sooner. Also heard of a 3 year interval for automatics. Either way, no service marks on the case back. So assume it has not been serviced recently. Basic service will run between $200-$300USD depending on the watchmaker, more if there is any damage found when it is being disassembled. Also it is a 2828, I have one, a bit on the small side for me.

From the Omega Vintage data base:
    Seamaster
    CK 2828
    [​IMG]
    Features
    International collection
    Dimensions
    Case
    Stainless steel
    Case Back Type
    Press-in
    Dial
    Luminous (radium), with hand-rivetted gold hour markers and "Dauphine" hands.
    Crystal
    Armoured hesalite
    Bracelet
    Leather
    Function
    Movements
    Type
    Automatic (mechanical)
    Caliber Number
    Other
    Created in 1955
    19 jewels
    Together with cal. 470 = Omega's first gents' automatic rotor caliber.
    TECHNICAL DATA
    Water resistance
    30 meters

mozartman likes this.