Forums Latest Members

[Vintage Omega Seamaster] Hopefully I'm getting better at this.

1. Kelmond Jul 13, 2017

Hello friends,

I last posted about a week ago, and since, I've been trying to get better at identifying vintages.

I found this listing for a vintage Omega Seamaster, that's going for about USD400.
    I have several queries:

-the dial strikes me as a redial when comparing with other vintage Omegas. (In attempting to identify the model, I picked out the numbers 315164 on the case back, is this correct?) I've come to realise that there are a few tell-tale signs as to whether watches have a redial or not (minute markers- are they evenly spaced; the font- how does it compare to typical vintages; how splotchy the words are on the dial)

-the movement looks good?

-the polishing doesn't look as bad as most listings I've encountered.

I would like to know if my assessment is accurate and where I might be wrong, and, is this a good purchase.

Thank you for your assistance. The learning curve is long and arduous.

Cheers, Kelmond

(photos are all that was provided in the listing- which claims that it is a "17 jewels 420 movement, from the 40s-50s )

Screen Shot 2017-07-14 at 1.28.48 AM.png Screen Shot 2017-07-14 at 1.28.54 AM.png Screen Shot 2017-07-14 at 1.28.58 AM.png Screen Shot 2017-07-14 at 1.29.05 AM.png
  2. No Mercy Jul 13, 2017

Dial look original to me, movement is looking good but will need a proper service on it. The crown is not original for this model.

3. Kelmond Jul 13, 2017

Is it worth the money?

4. No Mercy Jul 13, 2017

Sorry, since Im selling watch on OF, I think it is better not to judge about watch's value here.

5. Kelmond Jul 13, 2017

Cheers. Thanks for the insight nevertheless

6. ConElPueblo Jul 13, 2017

@Kelmond, if I was you I would start looking out for watches that are in better condition and more desirable than this one. On a different thread, dsio said this that sums it up perfectly:

The price is about right for an open auction on eBay, but it is by no means a steal - and it could well have issues. It isn't a particularly sought after reference (the size of 33 is a bit small by Omega standards) so selling it off at some point won't be a walk in the park. Also, not having "Seamaster" or another name on the dial affects value, too.

For $400 with this reference I would want only the best possible specimen, possibly with box and papers, and that is not snobbery, it is purely financial sense.

$400 ought to net you a decent 34mm Seamaster (look for reference 2846/2848) if you take your time to do your research first so you can pounce when one gets listed at that price (they will...).

jumpingsecond likes this.