Forums Latest Members

Vintage Omega Seamaster Cosmic with funny serial number, should I be concerned?

1. nmoemga4um Jun 9, 2017

Hello Omega Aficionados! My name is Norman and I am considering buying my first vintage watch for daily wear. I like the styles of the vintage Omegas and I am overwhelmed by the availability of them on ebay. After doing some research hours on this awesome forum and elsewhere, I think I am ready to pull the trigger.

What is important for me is that I don't bite off more than I could chew for my first watch. I thought this Cosmic would be a good entry point.

Here is what I think about this watch, I would love to hear your opinion and input.
    Must appreciation and Thank you!

Pro
    - From seller closer0924, who was mention in the post for "Unanimously Favorite Ebay Sellers List" https://omegaforums.net/threads/Ωf-unanimously-favorite-ebay-sellers-list.3612/page-2#post-726810
    - Light patina on the dials suggests it had little or no redialed.
    - Not super high price, so if it is a dud, no big deal for my first vintage.

Con
    - No pictures of the movement
    - The serial number is "166023", which I could only find "166.0237" in the Omega database with no picture. I am not sure what that means.

Ebay Listing:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/282511693786Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Jun 9, 2017

Edited Jun 9, 2017
  3. nmoemga4um Jun 9, 2017

Thanks! Now I am concerned that the picture from omega's website doesn't match the one from the post. Does that mean the parts aren't original?

Also how much does a cleaning typically costs, assuming either no or little repair required?

4. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Jun 9, 2017

Have you googled the reference number to see images of others? I don't know where you are so it's hard to say how much but probably a couple hundred, plus any parts.

5. nmoemga4um Jun 9, 2017

Thanks again @efauser! i am in Souther California and I suppose the prices shouldn't be too different than Texas.

Sorry i should have googled it first. Googled them and found a few references to help verify the dial. Also found some others on ebay with the same numbers. Thank you!

efauser likes this.
  6. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Jun 9, 2017

No need to apologize. Props for actually taking the initiative to research. I'm sure there are posters here who can recommend good watchmakers in Southern Cal.

nmoemga4um and Foo2rama like this.