Forums Latest Members

Vintage Omega Seamaster advice, seller advice. Help!

1. Ilin_A Oct 16, 2017

Hi everyone, and thank you for an amazing forum. I am looking for an Omega Seamaster vintage watch as a birthday present for myself. Automatic, stainless, white dial. I would like it to be in a nice condition. There are so many choices around, so I will need a bit of help from you. Where do I start? Please, show some good examples and give some explanations. I'm absolutely lost, need help.

What do you think of these:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/reloj-omega...374099?hash=item3d45856113:g:8fgAAOSwsTdZc2xQPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/OMEGA-1959-...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Omega-Genev...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Omega-Const...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

What do you think of this seller:
    https://www.ebay.com/usr/solves8?_trksid=p2047675.l2559

Thanks everyone!

2. fjf Oct 16, 2017

At least the first one is a redial. The others have been overpolished to death. And all of them are much too expensive.

Ilin_A likes this.
  3. ConElPueblo Oct 16, 2017

I think you should slow down a bit.

You are new member number 1,000,000 to come and wanting nuances of collecting explained to you. Do some searches on this site and learn for yourself. Many of us started this way too...

Here are some good places to start reading:

https://omegaforums.net/threads/for-the-new-members-read.23288/
    https://omegaforums.net/threads/condition-condition-condition-and-other-pieces-of-advice.1716/
    https://omegaforums.net/threads/learn-how-to-fish.52603/

Learn how to tell what reference of Omega you are looking at and then use that as a basis for your search queries.
    Accept that there are few hard and fast rules of collecting, but obey those that exist.
    Accept that learning takes time.

eugeneandresson, adi4, Davidt and 5 others like this.
  4. Ilin_A Oct 16, 2017

Thanks a lot! The truth is that I am not going to be a watch collector - simply will not have enough of time and money. I just want to get a nice piece with a bit of a history behind for my birthday. I've figured tat it is going to be vintage automatic stainless Omega Seamaster with a white dial. And now I'm trying to figure how I can determine which one is a good one. Would be grateful for help with that. Thanks!

5. dan7800 Oct 16, 2017

llin: One thing I've learned is that it is best to lurk these forums and learn from the really great people here. Buying vintage watches doesn't need to be expensive, but it does take some research/time investment. The seller forum on this site is pretty good, and I'd feel much more confident buying from this site than Ebay.

Just my newb 2 cents.

Ilin_A likes this.
  6. padders Oooo subtitles! Oct 16, 2017

I think you have 2 choices, option 1 is to go in blind, buy the one you like. If you do this though be prepare to overpay and get something which collectors wont touch if you ever want to resell further down the road as the chances are it will have been messed about and maybe running like a dog. Most ebay watches fit this description. Option 2 is to do a bucket load of research and avoid the mistakes of replacement parts, over restoration etc, many on here have taken this option.

For some, possibly including the OP, option 1 may well be the right choice and we shouldn't think less of him for that. People prioritise time in different ways and that is to be respected but if that is the case then don't expect the enthusiast crowd to do the hard work for you, that is a little selfish.

adi4, ConElPueblo, Edward53 and 2 others like this.
  7. ahsposo Most fun screen name at ΩF Oct 16, 2017

And look at the sales forums here; watches honestly described for the main part.

dan7800 and Ilin_A like this.
  8. Ilin_A Oct 16, 2017

Sounds fair to me.
    Here is my case. I definitely will not have enough of time to do the full research, but I should at least understand what I am paying for.
    Perhaps, it is a good idea to start from defining years and references as advised before by ConElPueblo? So where do I start? I am up to an automatic stainless Seamaster with a simple white dial.
    And again, thanks a lot everyone for your help!

9. dan7800 Oct 16, 2017

I am not too far ahead of you. I've been looking to see what has been selling in the forum here. Even if it is not the one you want specifically, it will give you a good idea of what is out there (and how things should look). Think of it like sitting on your front steps watching different cars go by to get an idea of what you like. Also, visiting these forums and learning about different movements etc.. and seeing what others are saying is really helpful to me.

Automatic Seasmster is an ok start, but the next step is to define the type of Seamaster and what your price range is. Also, remember that service costs might be worth something you should factor into your decision.

The fun is in the hunt.

Ilin_A likes this.
  10. Ilin_A Oct 16, 2017

11. Ilin_A Oct 16, 2017

I will be happy with almost any automatic stainless Seamaster with the white dial from 1960s and 1970s. It looks like too many reference numbers involved. What do I do?

12. borois Oct 16, 2017

Hi everyone i have a question i found a vintage Omega automatic seamaster calendar. Its made from gold i dont know the serial number and the year that was made in and I want to ask youu how much is worth and is it rare. I have some photos of it omega gold.jpg omega gold22.jpg

Thank you guys.

13. dan7800 Oct 16, 2017

OP: Listen to the advice everyone is telling you. Take a breath and take your time. Do some research. One thing the pros are going to want to see are movement shots. Also, there is not nearly enough even outside photos to judge things.

Ilin_A likes this.
  14. borois Oct 16, 2017

I did some resarch and i found one that looked like this but it has gold back mine has stell.

15. borois Oct 16, 2017

i Will do some more resarch and post some more photos.

16. cristos71 Oct 16, 2017

This is a collector's forum, not a hand-holding forum. You have already been given some very good pointers by @ConElPueblo, I would suggest if you want to buy a nice piece you take your time and read a bit instead of asking to be spoon fed the info you need

adi4, Ilin_A, dan7800 and 1 other person like this.
  17. ConElPueblo Oct 16, 2017

This in a nutshell.

I mean no offense, but @Ilin_A you should by now have realised that your case is not uncommon and while I and others would love to help a new member and collector, why should we want to give you as much help as you seem to ask for, if the result is that you will leave the forum afterwards and not contribute with anything?

This is not a forum for sellers, it is for collectors. Years of enthusiastic research are behind the posts here, so learn from those - the few posts I linked to are decent places to start, but there are hundreds more. If you are only looking for something to buy, I would scour the sales fora here and do some critical research about those pieces you are interested in.

18. Ilin_A Oct 16, 2017

Thanks a lot @ConElPueblo, @cristos71 and everyone else. I do realise that you paid your price to get all the knowledge you have. I do understand you do not want to invest in passing by person. And I am really grateful to you for the possibility to get some help from you. As I mentioned before, I am not a collector. I do not want to swear on blood that I will be a long time member of the forum. But who knows were the road will take me? At least I did not buy the first watch I see, but came here to ask respected experts. So I'll greatly appreciate any attempt to help with choosing the watch I'm looking for, and hope to be able to give it back when required.

19. ConElPueblo Oct 16, 2017

And that makes you smarter than a lot of people!

mydeafcat, Ilin_A and dan7800 like this.
  20. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Oct 16, 2017

Please start your own thread, if you want answers.