Forums Latest Members

Vintage Omega Seamaster 300 Repair

1. IMC100411 Jul 18, 2013

Hi everyone. I have this Seamaster 300 that i want to replace the crystal on. I had someone do it but the crystal is cheap and not original, it tends to scratch easily.c Is there anyone who can replace with a genuine Omega part. Thanks
    018.JPG

2. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 20, 2013

The real crystals are Hesalite and scratch really easily as well, I don't think you'll find any difference. What you need to do is buy a tube of Polywatch to polish it with and a proper cloth.

3. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Jul 21, 2013

Polywatch won't remove deeper scratches but this article shows you how to do it propoery:

http://watchguy.co.uk/how-to-polish-an-acrylic-watch-crystal/#more-3262

When I do it, I don't use the machine for the final step, but I do use 3 micron and 1 micron lapping paper and then finish off with Polywatch.

I haven't got a "before" photo, but here is a picture of the original Cyclops on my 750 that was in a really bad state but no longer made.

750.jpg

4. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jul 21, 2013

Any watchmaker with an Omega account can replace the crystal for you. If you are concerned about scratches., the Omega crystal will be no different than what is on the watch now in that regard, and periodic polishing is usually required.

Personally I do all my crystal polishing by hand, using various grits of abrasive paper and film, then finishing with polywatch.

Cheers, Al