Forums Latest Members
  1. Jheredia Apr 2, 2017

Hi all. My name is Jason and I am new to collecting vintage Omega watches as well a new member of this forum. I am a long time reader however and have really enjoyed the wealth of information here. I hope to be able to contribute as well in the future.

I have a question for the group. I had my Seamaster with cal 501 serviced by a watchmaker in Texas, where it was cleaned, oiled and regulated. He sent me pictures of the regulation, which showed a rate of -3 sec/day. However when it was shipped out and arrived to me, the watch was now at a rate of over a min/day. Is this normal for vintage Omega movements? I asked the watchmaker and he told me its because its an old watch and will not keep the accuracy of a new watch. Can anybody shed any light on this? I really appreciate any thoughts and input.

2. Kmart Apr 2, 2017

No, +1 min/day is not normal for a serviced watch. If he told you that "it will not keep the accuracy of a new watch" you may want to find a different watchmaker...

AveConscientia and OmegaLover like this.
  3. michael22 Apr 2, 2017

Did you wind it?

4. Jheredia Apr 2, 2017

Thanks guys for your responses. Yes it was fully wound.

michael22 likes this.
  5. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Apr 2, 2017

Generally true but really depends on the condition of the movement.

Archer likes this.
  6. Jheredia Apr 2, 2017

Is it possible for it to have been bumped out of regulation during shipping? The watchmaker said the movement was in good condition but here's a pic you can take a look at.

s-l1600 (1).jpg
  7. Canuck Apr 2, 2017

I can only judge by the poor condition of the gasket, and the fact that there is a plate screw missing from the barrel bridge! One can only wonder what else might have been left undone, or half done! I think you need to ask for a refund on a job not done, and find another shop! Either that, or return to the shop and ask a different technician to have a look at it. You got s_ _ _ _ _ d, in my view!

Fritz, wsfarrell, adi4 and 1 other person like this.
  8. Jheredia Apr 2, 2017

These pics were actually before the watch was serviced, he changed out the gaskets. I actually don't have any current pictures of movement though I think I'll have to open it up myself and take a look. I just don't have the proper tool to open it.

9. Canuck Apr 2, 2017

Mighta been helpful if you'd told us that when you started the thread! Still, if you are giving it a fair and stringent test, and it's out one minute per day, something needs to be looked at. That a change in rate from there seconds to a minute per day to have happened in shipping is unthinkable in my view.

10. michael22 Apr 2, 2017

A proper tool is often not necessary. A non slip rubber thing, like a squeeze ball or a neoprene coaster works well, without risk of damage.

11. OmegaLover Omega, please be my Valentine! Apr 2, 2017

Its very possible that something happen during shipment. Have local shop clean hairspring and test accuracy again.

12. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Apr 3, 2017

::facepalm1::

Fritz, Kmart, Vicke and 3 others like this.
  13. adi4 Apr 3, 2017

Might it be magnetized? Worth a shot to use a cheap compass just to check out of curiosity. Otherwise, that response from the watchmaker worries me as well unless there's a pre-existing issue with the watch, in which case he still should have pointed that out instead of using that terrible response.

14. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Apr 3, 2017

Condition of the movement is key. Many parts for this caliber are discontinued, and rarely do I service one where parts are not needed. So it really depends on what the watchmaker did or didn't do that will determine how well the watch will run. Did they replace the parts that were worn? If the worn part was not available new did they do something else to repair it, such as polish pivots, repivot the wheel, etc.? Or was this just a "clean, lube, and regulate in one position" type of service (which is not a proper service in my view)? Not all watchmakers do the same things in the course of a service.

Note that if he sent you a photo of the watch in one position on a timing machine and showing a rate on the screen like I see all the time as "proof" of how well the job was done, realize that without amplitude and timing in all positions, that one photo won't tell you much. It's very possible that it ran -3 in the position shown and still does, but it could also have positional variation that is causing large gains when the watch is in other positions. So nothing may have "happened" to it in transit, and there's certainly no indication that the balance spring needs cleaning.

We aren't going to be able to diagnose this remotely, so the watch needs to be looked at by someone you trust to get a full picture of the problem and what is required to fix it.

Cheers, Al

kkt, Dgercp, Jheredia and 4 others like this.
  15. OmegaLover Omega, please be my Valentine! Apr 3, 2017

I have to say this is more accurate answer

16. adi4 Apr 3, 2017

That is... an understatement. ::bleh::

17. M'Bob Apr 3, 2017

Al, in general, is the one position people will use to " prove" that a watch is running correctly on a timing machine, dial up, or not necessarily?

18. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Apr 3, 2017

Most common I've seen in a sales advert, yes. For a watchmaker, sometimes dial down is fairly common, because that's how a movement it mounted in the holder when making a rate adjustment.

M'Bob likes this.
  19. M'Bob Apr 3, 2017

Thanks, Al. Always appreciated.

20. Jheredia Apr 3, 2017

Thank you all for your thoughts. I'll test out magnetism just in case and see if I can take a look in the movement and regulate it. If it still doesn't keep proper time or there are any obvious issues I'm going to have it looked at by a different watchmaker to see whats up. Thanks again guys!