Forums Latest Members

SOLD Vintage Omega Ref. 165.002 Seamaster W/rare Double Name Mercedes Dial On Rice Bracelet

1. tomvox1 Jan 10, 2013

OmegaGPMerc-lng2_edited-1.JPG
    OmegaGPMerc-9_edited-1.JPG

Up for sale is this very cool and unusual late 1960s ref. 165.002 (modern ref. 165.0002) Omega Seamaster with beautiful and Mint double-signed dial from a Mercedes dealership. This 40 micron gold plated Seamaster with screw-in steel back comes on its original full-length gold-over-steel "Beads of Rice" bracelet and is in overall Excellent vintage condition. If you're looking for a rare vintage Omega that really stands out in a sea of plated Seamasters, this is the watch for you. And if you're a Merc owner, all's the better. ;)

The asking price for this rare double name classic Omega dress Seamaster is $750 OBRO USD, which includes fully insured shipping worldwide. Payment by Bank Wire or standard Paypal is fine on this watch. Other payment options upon application. Payment must be made in US DOLLARS. Watch will ship upon full clearance of the funds, as well as any necessary bank vetting.

OmegaGPMerc-1_edited-1.jpg

OmegaGPMerc-6_edited-1.jpg

OmegaGPMerc-7_edited-1.jpg

OmegaGPMerc-clsp1_edited-1.JPG

OmegaGPMerc-bk_edited-1.jpg

OmegaGPMerc-mov_edited-1.jpg

OmegaGPMerc-innrbk_edited-1.JPG

OmegaGPMerc-crwn_edited-1.JPG

OmegaGPMerc-sd-edited.jpg

OmegaGPMerc-clsp2_edited.JPG

OmegaGPMerc-8_edited-1.jpg

OmegaGPMerc-lng2_edited-1.JPG

OmegaGPMerc-9_edited-1.JPG

OmegaGPMerc-Master.jpg

OmegaGPMerc-1_edited-1.jpg

OmegaGPMerc-6_edited-1.jpg

OmegaGPMerc-7_edited-1.jpg

OmegaGPMerc-clsp1_edited-1.JPG

OmegaGPMerc-bk_edited-1.jpg

OmegaGPMerc-mov_edited-1.jpg

OmegaGPMerc-innrbk_edited-1.JPG

OmegaGPMerc-crwn_edited-1.JPG

OmegaGPMerc-sd-edited.jpg

OmegaGPMerc-clsp2_edited.JPG

OmegaGPMerc-8_edited-1.jpg

CASE: Classic tapered lug case with a generous 40 microns of gold plating measures an elegant 34mm x 41mm and wears larger due to the thin bezel/large face. There are some minor scratches/swirlies to the sides of the lugs and the smooth bezel but no real dings to speak of and no loss of plating. For a 45-year old watch, it must have been rarely worn and I rate this case as solidly Excellent.

CASEBACK: The outer caseback has just a few tool marks to the notches but is otherwise very clean. The famous Seamaster Hippocampus logo is extremely crisp. The inner caseback is completely corrosion-free and has all correct Omega nomenclature and hallmarks for the period. By my strict grading standards, the external caseback is in Excellent cosmetic condition.

DIAL & HANDS: Absolutely Mint original brushed silver dial with gold bar hour markers, all original Tritium luminous dots intact and iridescent clear coat. Obviously, what really sets this dial apart is the well laid out "Compliments of George Ovanessoff Mercedes Benz" and iconic Tri-Star logo. You can just picture some awesome swinging 60s Benz dealership in a place like Beverly Hills where they handed out fancy Omegas to their best clients as they picked up their new roadsters and sedans. Too cool! The printing, in place of where "Seamaster" would normally be, has a definite factory quality to it and matches the OMEGA Automatic print above, so most likely an official special order through Omega proper. Gold stick minute and hour hands are Mint and corrosion free and retain their original Trit luminous fill, while the sweep seconds hand is Near Mint with some minor signs of age/corrosion. Simply put: there are probably only a handful of this specialty dial in the world today and this is surely one of the nicest!

CROWN: Archetypal original signed Omega knurled gold-plated winding crown. The crown winds smoothly and pulls out to the time-setting position as it should.

CRYSTAL: Low-domed crystal in Excellent unpolished condition with just a few light scratches but without the Omega symbol in the center, so I assume a generic replacement from years ago.

MOVEMENT: Cal. 552 24-jewel automatic movement with swan neck regulator, Omega's excellent non-Chronometer engine for much of the 1960s, pink gilt gleaming and looking virginal. The 26 million movement SN indicates ca. 1968 production. I do not know the service history and so cannot guarantee that it will not need service in future. However, this great cal. 552 winds, runs well with a strong power reserve and is keeping good time and of course I do guarantee that this will be the case at the time of shipment.

BRACELET: Original 20 micron gold plated ref. 1037 "Beads of Rice" bracelet with signed Omega buckle and "70" ends, a relatively valuable commodity in its own right. This bracelet seems full-length with a total of 5 removable screwed links and should fit up to a 7.75" wrist at maximum extension. This 1037 is extremely tight with no real stretch but does show a bit more apparent wear than the watch, especially the buckle that has scuffs/scratches, and so is more like Very Good to Excellent. There is a metal punch-type "notch" on the lower end piece, which I cannot explain but which I'll mention for the sake of full disclosure. Doesn't really detract from anything, IMO.

I make NO guarantees for the water resistance of this watch in any way, shape or form due to its age and the dodgy water resistance of most vintage dress watches in general.

This great Vintage Omega is offered with a 3-day inspection period from the date of receipt and may be returned for a full refund less any shipping costs incurred by the buyer. This refund is unconditional and once I get the watch back in exactly the same condition as it was sent to you, your money will be refunded. Of course, once the 3 days are over the sale will be considered FINAL.

Thanks for looking,
    T.
    [email protected]

OmegaGPMerc-Master.jpg OmegaGPMerc-6_edited-1.jpg
  2. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 10, 2013

Fixed the typo in the thread title, GLWS

3. tomvox1 Jan 10, 2013

Thanks for the try! But, um, it's 165.002. Sorry... :oops:
    Best,
    T.

4. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 10, 2013

K done again