Forums Latest Members
  1. tsc Nov 26, 2013

Hey guys, new member here. I'm looking into buying my very first omega watch on ebay but having difficulty determining if the ones I'm interested are authentic.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/181265164517?_trksid=p2047675.m570.l4448&_trkparms=gh1g=I181265164517.N1.S2.M1342Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

http://www.ebay.com/itm/181265164517?_trksid=p2050601.m570.l4448&_trkparms=gh1g=I181265164517.N1.S2.M1337Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

Do these look like an authentic watches? Seller is located in Asia. Also, posting says the watches have been overhauled recently.

2. shaun hk Fairy nuffer Nov 26, 2013

Hi,
    It is probably a real Omega, though it never left the factory looking like that.
    It has been heavily polshed and the dial repainted making its' value to a collector of real Omega watches pretty much zero. I say it is probably real becuase there is no picture of the movement, so it could have anything inside. This in my humble is suspicious, you can tell from the photo's that they are an experienced seller so why no movement pic?
    I am pretty much certain the hands are different from the ones it left the factory with.
    Oh and the buckle on the strap, I am fairly sure that is fake too.

3. tsc Nov 26, 2013

Thank you, I definitely see what you mean. I don't think I'll be bidding on it. I'm looking for a nice, classic-style Omega watch. Any suggestions on where to look? I'm definitely going to take a look through the sales forum here, and I've looked through timezone as well. Ebay probably isn't the best idea for me since I have no idea how to spot fakes or good deals.

4. shaun hk Fairy nuffer Nov 26, 2013

You can always post a link here to anything you are interested in, either on ebay or from a forum and you will get impartial advice and ebay does have the biggest selection though there are so many that finding the great amongst the poor is not easy. There is also a thread here on recommended ebay watches (very useful) and another on recommended sellers.
    As for what to look for, I suggest you look at old threads, you can search for those titled along the lines of comments on this watch. And when you read the replies of those in know you will learn what to look out for. Also, reading the actual ebay ad will help, some sellers admit when they have redialed (painted the dial again) the watch. Usually (but not every time) if a watch looks brand new but is supposed to be 40years old then it has been overworked by the seller. Patience will also help.
    Good luck

5. tsc Nov 26, 2013

Thanks very much for the help, really appreciated. I'm not in any rush, and I'm willing to wait months for the right watch!

Wondering if you or anyone else have any thoughts on this watch right here on authenticity//what would be a good value for me?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/190950762774?_trksid=p2046732.m570.l5008&_trkparms=gh1g=I190950762774.N23.S1.M2836&autorefresh=truePurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

I know it looks like it has definitely been overworked so maybe I should just avoid it altogether, but I do like the style of the watch

6. shaun hk Fairy nuffer Nov 26, 2013

In my opinion that is very, very poor, Omega never made a watch in that colour. And take a look at the markers at 3, 6, 9 and 12, what do you think of them?
    Here is a link to one that has been sold on the forum

http://omegaforums.net/threads/1958-omega-seamaster-2849.8082/

Look closely at the pictures of both watches,

Watches that are 50+ years old generally don't look brand new

7. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Nov 26, 2013

Hi tsc - others are covering your watch needs, but I thought I would contribute an avatar suggestion for you....

[​IMG]

Good old Tractor Supply Company....they sell more than just tractor supplies after all! ;)

Cheers, Al

Noisy Nova likes this.
  8. tsc Nov 26, 2013

Thanks Al!

Also, I managed to get a picture of the movement for the first watch listed, what do you guys think? I know the first watch isn't going to make much of a collectors watch, but I like the style and it's something I would wear. Is there a price point where it might be a good deal for me?

[​IMG]

9. Habitant Nov 26, 2013

Ouch. Generally speaking, there are few offerings worth looking at from either Argentina, Korea, Thailand or the Ukraine. All these areas seem to have particularly high levels of refinishing and worse, and for those reasons, I'd tread very cautiously. I am a friend to all countries and men, but I'm simply noting that these areas seem troublesome more often than not.

10. kyle L Grasshopper Staff Member Nov 26, 2013

Would pass, movement looks crude and not well cared for by the scratches and rust. Also missing both its case screws which will make the movement hit against the caseback.

11. John R Smith Nov 26, 2013

TSC - take advantage of the good advice which is being offered here, and look elsewhere. DO NOT buy this watch. There is no price point at which it is a good deal :thumbsdown: The owner should pay you to take it off his hands . . .

12. ulackfocus Nov 26, 2013

I hope he listens, but we've all seen too many n00bs buy for the "ooooo, shiny" and 'Don Draper (aka refinished black dial) Effect'.

13. Lex4TDI4Life Nov 26, 2013

On the automotive forum I frequent, we often ask someone looking to buy an initial critical question: What is your budget? The answer can help the folks here point you in the right, and realistic, direction.

That being said, expect to exceed your budget by 400-500% to get the piece you have fallen in love with ::love::

14. tsc Nov 26, 2013

I won't purchase that watch then, thanks for the advice. My budget is probably up to $1K or so. Also, I'm looking for a watch for everyday wear, not necessarily to collect, so that's why I like the shiny stuff :). Thanks everyone for the help so far

15. ulackfocus Nov 26, 2013

Ah, but you can get an original and still use it for every day wear. :thumbsup: I often were my vintage stainless Constellation 168.005, 18ct Audemars Piguet 5279, and 18ct Centenary 2500 to work.