Forums Latest Members
  1. jinwoos5457 Sep 1, 2018

I recently bought this watch over the internet and was wondering what model it is and what movement its using. I have no information about when it was made and where it was bought. The dial is 36mm and maybe its a caliber 260? I'm still new to vintage watches in general. I took it to the repair shop and they said that they need to replace the balance wheel and the crystal since its not waterproof at all (along with an overhaul). They called 450$ for the service. Does that seem like a fair price?

omega dial.jpg omega movement.jpg
  2. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Sep 2, 2018

I don't know what you paid, but spending and additional $450 on this watch will put you upside down on value.

The dial has been refinished and the hands are incorrect.

Did they say why the balance needs to be replaced, this is not something which typically needs to be done.

Can you provide photos of the inside of the case back and the movement of your watch?

3. Fialetti Sep 2, 2018

It is a calibre 265, and is identified by the number under the omega emblem beside the crown wheel. The longer number beside the ratchet wheel is a serial number that is unique to the movement and can be used to work out the rough date of production. Omega maintains a vintage database that gives the model reference and correct combination of calibres and cases, as well as other information. It's not compete though, so failing to find a watch there doesn't automatically mean it's a fake or Franken.

4. jinwoos5457 Sep 3, 2018

Thank you for the reply! They didn't explain why it needs to be replaced and before I sent it to the repair shop, the watch itself worked fine without losing much time. I was thinking of letting the repair shop take care of my watch and then realized that it might be a little too much money (thanks to your comment!) The watch is still in the shop and ill probably have to go get it sometimes today or tomorrow.

5. jinwoos5457 Sep 3, 2018

I see! Thanks for the info!!

6. oilseed Sep 3, 2018

A "full service" for a hand wind manual watch (not automatic) movement is fairly straight forward (assuming the balance staff is not broken or other issues (like rust) are evident). *excluding the small ladies movements, which are a pain to work on due to their very small size) I would think you could get a service done by a competent watchmaker for $250. that would include a new mainspring. But each shop has their rates and expertise (and quality of workmanship).
    I too am curious as to why they said the balance wheel needs to be replaced? if you said it runs, then the staff is not broken. re-staffing the wheel would add to the cost (or if they didn't want to re-staff and choose to replace the entire balance) instead.