Forums Latest Members
  1. mactab Jul 14, 2015

As a newbie I was looking at a new DeVille coaxial or Aqua Terra captains watch. Something that I can hand down to future generations. However on reading through the forums it seems that a modern Omega is less desirable and less likely to hold future value not that I suppose that is an issue if it will be passed down son to son etc
    However I'm now considering a piepan or constellation vintage in as nice a condition as poss ( papers and box a bonus?) 564 movement.
    Would £1000 do the job? UK dealers? I would be anxious about buying online.
    Thanks for any advice offered.

2. Geordie Jul 14, 2015

Should be more than enough. I just sold a nice one for £700. Bare in mind the service cost when buying. A recently serviced watch will save you a packet.

3. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 14, 2015

New Omegas are great, its just that all modern watches lose a bit of their original purchase price initially

blubarb and italy1861 like this.
  4. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Jul 14, 2015

And will cost you more up front. I think the "modern" exception is the Seamaster 2254.50 or 2054.50. They're the same watch with different bracelets.

5. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 14, 2015

And possibly even more later as most eBay sellers' idea of "serviced" is regulation and a crystal polish, not a full service.

efauser likes this.
  6. Geordie Jul 14, 2015

Buy what you like not whats good for the future. That way you get pleasure out of wearing it. I have new and vintage but right now im in love with my new planet ocean 45.5mm

Which Watch Next likes this.
  7. mactab Jul 15, 2015

Thank you for the advice. I have decided that I will be seeking a Vintage 60's Omega Constellation with date, caliber 564, PiePan or not. The main criteria is that it has be very good original condition and will spend a little bit more cash if required to get a good one.
    The hunt is on!!

8. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Jul 15, 2015

Try this, if you haven't already: http://www.watchrecon.com/?query=omega+constellation

mactab likes this.
  9. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Jul 15, 2015

as a Connie devotee I can only whole heartedly commend you choice

you might struggle with £1000 if you go to UK vintage watch retailers -there are a number about but are expensive -and be warned they may very well be redials as the retailers tend to sell 'shiny -good as new' watches to non-collectors who know no better.
    Keep checking the private sellers posts here on the forum -probably the best an safest option
    UK auctions can be a good source of original watches -just be careful -I was lucky enough to buy a lovely 168.005 564 at auction around 4 months ago for less than £600 (with commission) -needed service -so less than £800 all in -a retailer would charge double that
    If you are considering US sellers -beware the import charges -they are huge
    -and post any watches under consideration for the forum members to critique before you buy

best of luck with the hunt!

10. mactab Jul 15, 2015

Thank you both.
    How about this one? 1200€ Inc shipping.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
  11. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Jul 15, 2015

£840

probably 168.005 case

the dial looks good-I can't see any faults
    correct fonts
    minute track looks consistent

-but others will no doubt chip in

check this link from Desmond's site for comparison

http://users.tpg.com.au/mondodec//Constellation_Dials_Part_2.pdf

sharp lugs
    correct crown
    bit of wear to the medallion -looks like a couple of stars and the top of the observatory are 'faded' -slightly unusual for a ss medallion - but not too bad -could be a trick of the light on the photos as you would expect the sharp 'coping' of the base of the observatory to be worn if anything
    replaced crystal (no Omega logo) -not a concern (you could get a new one with Omega logo for £30 if you really wanted to when you get a service)

does the seller give any further info?
    -cal
    -serial number

is it serviced? -if so could be a good deal
    if not allow £200-£300 for a service

12. mactab Jul 15, 2015

Yes serviced last year
    564 cal. I'll get a serial number tomorrow but it seems to be pretty spot on so far.
    I suspect the wear is a trick of the light.

13. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Jul 15, 2015

if you are contacting the seller -ask for details about the service -it may have had a full service (fully dismantled cleaned and oiled) or just a 'drop of oil'
    If the latter -it shouldn't stop you buying the watch -just factor in having it properly serviced sometime in the near future

you need to get photos of the movement and case back too -and post them up here
    the members will comment on it's condition/originality etc

14. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Jul 16, 2015

bump for those more expert than me to assist the new guy

15. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Jul 16, 2015

As I told mactab in a pm, I'm a little concerned that the seller has no feedback on WUS, joining only to sell 3 watches, and no photos of the movement. I suggested he post movement and inside case back photos here before finalizing the deal. Doesn't look like that was done; I hope all is well with it.

16. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Jul 16, 2015

Ha ha
    I told him exactly the same thing......

17. mactab Jul 16, 2015

Hi All, yes I agree the lack of images of the internals are a worry. I have asked the question regarding servicing and this is the reply -

'Hi Paul, The watch was fully serviced (Movement and case were completely disassembled and cleaned, a new gasket were installed).
    My watchmaker also epilamized the whole movement (surface treatment). The oil lasts longer this way. Also the Rotor has almost no play and the watch is still waterproof (30m).
    My watchmaker has ca. 50 years of working experience.
    I do not have images of the movement but you can be sure that it is in the same very good condition like the rest of the watch!
    Attached my identity card to show you I am genuine too =)

I'm inclined to think that this is a genuine seller - He has been very forthcoming about getting the right shipping options and insurance. I would be happier paying by CC or through paypal which would offer some payment protection.
    Im presuming that to take the back off isn't such a hard job?
    Thank you all for your concern - I will keep you posted

18. gee_cee Jul 16, 2015

I wouldn't take the caseback off any watch I was selling, even if I were asked - I'm not a watchmaker.. You don't know this guy's skill levels. It's easy to not seat the gasket in place properly, or for it slip when resealing; and I know it's not a divers watch, but a hair or even a speck of dirt on the gasket can compromise the WR. It might also invalidate any waterproofing guarantees from the service?

19. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Jul 16, 2015

I see no reason why he couldn't ask the watchmaker who performed the service to take a photo. No feedback, no photos of the insides and nothing but assurances that it looks as good inside as it does outside, doesn't make me feel good about dropping 1200 euro. The only way I might take a chance is by paying with PayPal and certainly not as a gift.

JamieG likes this.
  20. gee_cee Jul 17, 2015

yep, true. Mental note to self: ask for a few pics to be taken next time I send a vintage watch off for service or repair..

JamieG likes this.