Forums Latest Members

Vintage Omega Pre-Ranchero "Railmaster" BROAD ARROW (Original Patina)?

1. xud93 Nov 28, 2016

Hi,

Came across this estate piece in wonderful condition (fully functional as well)... I was wondering if someone knew more about it? I know the Broad Arrow is rare, and the original patina (with lume) seems to be intact (not refinished nor re-lumed). Sorry for the bad pics...

Anyways I need to kinda 'off this piece unfortunately to pay for college tuition... was wondering if someone could give me some more advice as to its rarity (or lack thereof) before I list it on eBay or something.

Cal. 267
    Caseback: 2990-1
    Broad Arrow Seamaster, Pre-Ranchero "Railmaster"?

I found this at auction on eBay a while back: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Oversized...D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

Seems like the same watch? But I know with vintage pieces (Rolex or Omega or Etc.) slight differences can matter A LOT.

It's a shame I might have to part with this - I used to have an up-down chrono WW-II Heuer (albeit refinished).

Any advice would be great! Thanks! IMG_3548.JPG IMG_3545.JPG IMG_3544.JPG IMG_3542.JPG IMG_3543.JPG

2. DIV Nov 28, 2016

Hi there.
    What you've got there is a Ranchero 2996 with a "Seamaster" scripted dial, a "Seachero".
    However, from the photo, it looks like the dial is replaced and the hands are re-lumed. The winding crown is also replaced.
    I may be wrong, and a more detailed photon of the dial would certainly help.
    It's interesting that re-dialed versions often have the Ranchero script, so this is likely an earlier re-dialed, before the recent "Ranchero hype" that were seeing now with many re-dialed variations floating around.
    I would put the current value at around $US 1500-2000, but I'm certainly no expert, just a fan.

3. gemini4 Hoarder Of Speed et alia Nov 28, 2016

I think your dial and hands should look more like this
    IMG_5404.JPG

ConElPueblo likes this.
  4. xud93 Nov 28, 2016

Wow that's a nice one. Sorry for the bad photos - it looks better in person tbh.

Any other opinions?

5. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Nov 28, 2016

It's a redial unfortunately.

6. xud93 Nov 30, 2016

Any speculations on market value besides the fact that it's probably a re-dial? Need to pay tuition :<

7. CajunTiger Cajuns and Gators can't read newspapers! Nov 30, 2016

80% of the value has been removed unfortunately. I think @DIV gave a very generous valuation, that being said its only worth what someone is willing to pay...and since the value of this piece is in the dial and hands, it will be difficult to get much for this piece. Its worth the value of the movement and case.

8. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Nov 30, 2016

What did you pay for it? That is (or at least was) the market price at the time. I don't think there is really a 'market price' for refinished dialed watches like this. It usually comes down to one of two valuation methods:

1. Take what an original one is worth (via searches on eBay completed auctions, watchrecon listings, etc. and subtract from that the cost of an authentic dial, authentic hands and labor for the swaps.

2. Add together the market value of the case and movement.

My gut feeling is it won't be more then a few hundred USD.

9. xud93 Dec 1, 2016

@CajunTiger True. Same with Vintage Rolexes, if not more so. The photo I uploaded is kinda bad and taken off my iPhone under no lighting. I'll dSLR up a new photo, if the quality of the re-finished/re-lumed dial matters.

I paid around $1k US.

10. xud93 Dec 1, 2016

I did think it was a refinished dial at the time, but was still drawn my the broad arrow on a vintage seamaster....

11. DIV Dec 2, 2016

Yeah, see my previous post up above...