Forums Latest Members
  1. Aldiin Dec 11, 2017

Hi.
    I've been reading this forum to learn more about my omega pocket watch. I acquired it today from my grandpa. He said it's from 1944 and i checked serial number and it matches the year he said. My question is now, how much is worth something like this? I will not sell it because it means too much to me, but i would like to fix it, and use it. I don't know how to open the watch to see the insides.. i was only able to open the first part to see serial number. Any advices?

CLICK ON THE PICTURE!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thank you guys!

2. jimmyd13 Dec 11, 2017

Value's driven by fashion as much as by desirability or originality and pocket watches just aren't fashionable. In good, running, condition I tend to buy these around the £100 mark. When I do buy them, I mount them on an appropriate holder or in a dome and re-sell as desk clocks. However, you can easily spend that (£100) or more on repairing them ... looks like you're missing two hands; glass may be fogged by moisture, in which case the movement probably needs a lot of attention. As this one's much more of a personal, sentimental, piece then I would suggest you find a local watchmaker who has a good stock of old watch parts and discuss with him restoring the watch. The glass is easy, parts less so.

Take your time and do your research. If you're willing to post your location, someone might be able to offer a name or two for the restoration.

Vitezi likes this.
  3. Aldiin Dec 11, 2017

Thank you for your post. I menaged to open it, take a look inside. There was a small circle like 0.5mm that dropped from watch when i opened it.

[​IMG]

My location is BiH - Sarajevo, and i found that there is old watchman that does only omega watches..

4. François Pépin Dec 11, 2017

The movement looks like a 38,5. The hairspring is out of shape and will need some work or to be replaced.
    The glass seems to be an old kind one which tends to oxydate through time. It will probably need to be replaced.