Forums Latest Members
  1. robmack May 4, 2018

There's the following alleged Omega pie pan dial wrist watch being offered at an auction locally. I've researched the features of the watch relative to the photo and come up with some discrepancies. I've no other clues like photo of the movement, photo of the serial number, photo of the back, band or winding stem, etc. The seller is not disclosing the date of the watch in the listing.

[​IMG]
    - the “C” in Constellation is stylised. The “C” in a true Omega Constellation is plain.
    - the "o" in Constellation is faded or not complete. Shows an inferior application of ink
    - the hour marks have what appears to be stones. The real Omegas of this era don’t have inset stones to my knowledge.
    - the “Swiss Made” mark is near the top of the six o’clock marker. No true Omega ever positioned this mark so near the edge of the pie pan dial that I can see. It was always near the perimeter of the dial.

Are these correct observations on my part, or is this a real Omega pie pan?

2. Anj May 4, 2018

It is a really bad redial. Everything is wrong. They probably painted over everything then reprinted all the fonts since star/logo/brand is lined up straight.

The stones you mentioned are tritium lumes. They are real, often denoted by 'SWISS MADE T' on the bottom - this doesn't even have the swiss made spelled correctly or at the right place.

Edited May 4, 2018
    connieseamaster, Mark020 and Dan S like this.
  3. Pianist A 12 inch WHAT?!?!? May 4, 2018

This is a bad redial.

4. padders Oooo subtitles! May 5, 2018

Not a fake, crap redial.

5. ConElPueblo May 5, 2018

Very good observations :thumbsup:

As @Anj says, the insert stones are luminous material - the strip in the middle of the hands are luminous too. Note that the strip in the middle of the hands are a completely different colour than the material on the dial; this will typically be due the original material on either of the positions have been removed and re-applied. Sometimes this was done routinely (as the glow will disappear over time), other times for different reasons. In this case the dial has been completely cleaned bare and the base paint, the text and the luminous compound has had to be reapplied.

If the lume anywhere on a vintage Omega has that green tinge you see on the dial, it is more than likely not original.

6. robmack May 5, 2018

Thank you everyone for your valuable comments. I'm always learning about these beautiful watches.

7. TropicConnie May 7, 2018

The typeface the word 'Constellation' is written in is very similar to the one Longines used for the Conquest model. Bad redial.

Mark020 likes this.
  8. Mark020 not the sharpest pencil in the ΩF drawer May 7, 2018

^^Indeed a nice touch

9. robmack May 15, 2018

The watch sold for $800.00. Hmmm...