Forums Latest Members
  1. Mark hart Feb 19, 2015

i purchased this watch some time ago from a woman who said it was handed down from her uncle. As you can see from the photos, there is a chip in the porcelain dials between the numerals 2 and 3. Would it hurt the watch or help it to have it repaired? The watch runs, and the serial number of the movement is 5125863. The case is 0.935 silver and the number on the case is 5918167. Any information or suggestions would be appreciated! IMG_5798.JPG IMG_5606-001.JPG IMG_5606 (2).JPG IMG_5606.JPG IMG_5607.JPG IMG_5608.JPG IMG_5609.JPG IMG_5610.JPG IMG_5611.JPG IMG_5612.JPG

2. Pvt-Public Feb 19, 2015

Tough call since it looks like a re-cased pocket watch, so that most probably isn't the original dial. I would get the movement serviced and a nice strap and leave the dial alone. But those are just my thoughts.

3. TNTwatch Feb 19, 2015

The chips on the enamel dial (not porcelain) cannot be repaired to bring it back to original state. The hairline cracks can be visually minimized by cleaning if you can do it carefully..

4. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Feb 19, 2015

I disagree. I think the case is original. That logo dates from about 1915 to 1920. The hands may either just be relumed or replaced.

The dial looks original to the period, but had its radium stripped off in a prior cleaning.

It's a tough call as to what to do with the dial at this point. In it's current state, it's extremely fragile and if someone isn't careful when servicing the movement, say goodbye to it. There are a very few craftsmen who can repair and/or stabilize the dial, but I really don't know who they are.

Nice early Omega wristwatch. :thumbsup:
    gatorcpa

5. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Feb 19, 2015

Nicest "Uncle" watch this year.

TNTwatch likes this.
  6. Pvt-Public Feb 19, 2015

I guess I should have said re-purposed pocket watch. The things that lead me to believe this are. In a few of the pictures you can see the lugs were soldered on, the hinged case back, and the engraving running perpendicular to how most wrist watches are engraved.

7. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Feb 19, 2015

1. Early wristwatch cases were in fact small pocketwatch cases with soldered lugs. Came that way from the factory. Many had inside dust covers like pocketwatches. It is also possible that the watch case originally had wire lugs which broke or were refashioned into more standard lugs later on.

2. The engraving is in a very masculine style. The date of the movement is about 1916, so this person may have been a soldier in WWI.

Omega was one of the first manufacturers of dedicated wristwatches for men. I would think that if the watch was acquired in Europe, it likely always was a wristwatch, but if it was acquired in the USA (less likely, as most Omegas sold here at that time would have had USA made cases), then it was a repurposed pocketwatch.

We might never know the correct answer,
    gatorcpa

8. redpcar Feb 19, 2015

The location of the stem leads me to believe it was more likely a wrist watch to start. I have an ad from 1913 with a similar hinged case but with smaller lugs to accept a thin one piece strap.

9. Tire-comedon First Globemaster Feb 20, 2015

The lugs are not original. Could be a wristwatch on which the original wire fixed lugs were broken and replaced later, or a transformed pocket watch. What is the diameter of the case?

10. Pvt-Public Feb 20, 2015

OK guys point taken. Still learning at this. ::shy::

11. Mark hart Feb 20, 2015

Thanks everyone for your information. The lugs have a factory look, but I am no expert. The case is 33mm in diameter, and the lugs have 17.5mm spacing between them. I have done nothing to the watch since I bought it, but I don't want to do anything that would hurt it's value. The lady I bought it from did say her uncle was in the service during WW I. Are replacement dials available if this one cannot be restored? I am in the St Louis, MO area, and would appreciate any recommendations for someone to service the watch. Thanks again.

IMG_5627.JPG
  12. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Feb 20, 2015

Here is an ad for a similar watch from WWI:

[​IMG]

Still don't know about those lugs. Gut says redone, but stranger things turn out to be true sometimes.
    gatorcpa

13. redpcar Feb 20, 2015

For the age, your watch is in good condition. I would keep everything as it is. Just need to get serviced by a qualified watchmaker. Wear it with pride.