Forums Latest Members
  1. drworm Aug 29, 2015

Hi,
    I registered this Forum as it thought It would be the right place to ask.
    I have 2 vintages Omega watches I would like some help to ID one of them. (the second one seems strait forward as the model is written on it "seamaster 120") Although expert may be able to further identify the age of the watch..
    Thank you for your assistance

[​IMG]

2. gornati Aug 29, 2015

Pic is bad on my cell, but looks a pie pan (the first one)

3. gemini4 Hoarder Of Speed et alia Aug 29, 2015

Go to a watch repair place and have them remove the caseback. The reference number is on the inside caseback

4. omegastar Aug 29, 2015

Omega Genève ref. 14703, cal. 562. Made around 1961. If the case-back is made of steel, then it is gold-plated or gold-capped, if it is golden then the watch is made of 14k or 18k gold.

5. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Aug 29, 2015

Here it is:

http://naligazone.com/index.php/data-watch/omega/caliber-5/548

Note - I came across this website a couple of weeks ago. Someone in Thailand was able to take snapshots on what the Omega Vintage Database used to look like before Omega destroyed some the historical data like alternative case metals and original pricing information.

Both solid and plated versions are listed here.
    gatorcpa

TNTwatch likes this.
  6. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Aug 29, 2015

Quadrophenic-Schizophrenia

Great site, Evan!

7. drworm Aug 29, 2015

Thank you very much for thoses informations, Omegastar.
    I do not know much about watches to be honest .. I'm wondering If I should keep the ref. 14703, cal. 562 (I think it's the most elegant of the two). or if I should sale it (assuming there is a market for those)
    Can you give ma a raw idea of the price of a glass replacement (assuming parts are still available) and a raw idea of the resale (in this case I wont change the glass)

8. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Aug 29, 2015

Crystal for this watch is available by special order only:

http://www.ofrei.com/page_168.html#33883

With Swatch/Omega about to discontinue selling parts to suppliers, it may be that the order will never be filled. My feeling is to invest $10 in a tube of polywatch and polish the crystal as best you can.

Otherwise, leave it to next owner.
    gatorcpa

9. omegastar Aug 30, 2015

The sale value will depend on the case material. Is the watch solid gold or gold-plated ?

10. ChrisN Aug 30, 2015

The right hand one appears to be a late sixties 166.0027 with bracelet. If it is, it's probably the more valuable of the two so, the one to sell (and you prefer the dressier watch anyway). Depends on its overall condition which you can't tell from that photo but 500-1000 of whatever currency is local to you. Have a look on eBay at finished sales. Here's one to start you:

Hope this helps, Chris

Edited by a mod Jun 1, 2023
  11. drworm Aug 30, 2015

From my understanding (as the back of the watch is gold) it appear to be gold solid there is a tiny engraving looking like a 6 or a 9 (I don't know if it means anything).

If I read you right if one open the case open there should be a serial number, that expert can use to give the exact (give or take) manufacturing year?

12. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Aug 30, 2015

Probably a hallmark or import mark, that's a good sign!

Exactly, give us a photo of the movement and most importantly, the inside of the caseback and we will know much more.
    In the meantime, if you don't feel qualified to open the easily damaged case, give us a clear closeup of the hallmark.

13. drworm Aug 30, 2015

Well congrats to omegastar! it reads omega 562
    ref ? 17614206
    serial :500337

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Aug 30, 2015

Looks like a French market piece. I've seen that garter Omega logo on a few Constellations, but not on a Geneve before.

Case looks to be hallmarked and is probably 18K gold.

Very nice watch.
    gatorcpa

15. omegastar Aug 30, 2015

Yes, it is a French case and it is 18 k gold. The engraving is an eagle head.

16. drworm Aug 31, 2015

And now on the lady side I have this one, from what I've learn from the previous post it's 18k gold, for the french market (same eagle head on the back) It's likely a 60's watch
    I don't feel confident opening this one, it's too small
    This time I searched ebay it looks like a yellow gold version of the one on the link with a different bracelet
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-OME...T-Condition-/262014903897?hash=item3d014e2659Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

Omegastar, maybe you know the exact model? 484 like the one in the link?
    For my information were the case and bracelet something retailer specific? Not per say made by Omega?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Aug 31, 2015

Ladies watches were cased locally to cater to individual market tastes. This looks like something from the "Sapphette" model line.

Here's a British 9K version:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/230213328/1962-omega-vintage-ladies-sapphette

Don't get carried away by the price being asked. It's several times the gold value of the watch and band.

Unfortunately, these watches sell at melt value or below. They are just not popular with the modern woman anymore.
    gatorcpa

18. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 31, 2015

The Geneve and Seamaster 120 are both cool but yea as Gator suggests, ladies watches really have near non existent demand and those sapphettes do typically get melted down for scrap gold and have their movements turned into cufflinks. Just a sad reality of ever changing women's fashion, conveniently mens dress watches today look more or less like your Geneve so they're somewhat more timeless in the same way that men's suits of the 1960s have hardly changed.